Trip Into Sheffield, Now Where Did I Get To ... ?

RichardB

Some good pictures there Richard.

The Castle Market ones in particular should be reposted in the Castle Market topic, - after all, it won't be there for very much longer will it!

Bankers Draft, pint please ... Castle House blokie

Who / what is the bloke nailed to Castle House (holding the bundle of sticks)? I used to be fascinated by him in the early sixties when passing him whilst on top of a double decker bus going to see grandmother at Southey. I'm amazed he's still there, must be made from quality materials?

post #7 - actually the Globe Works

I took some photos on Infirmary Road today - may post once camera battery is re-charged.

Who / what is the bloke nailed to Castle House (holding the bundle of sticks)? I used to be fascinated by him in the early sixties when passing him whilst on top of a double decker bus going to see grandmother at Southey. I'm amazed he's still there, must be made from quality materials?

It seems it is Vulcan (again)

http://public-art.shu.ac.uk/sheffield/tie75.html

Updated post #7, Thanks, was in a rush.

post #7 - actually the Globe Works

I took some photos on Infirmary Road today - may post once camera battery is re-charged.

It is yet another statue of the god Vulcan, the patron Saint of metalworkers and an emblem of our City, - the same bloke who is on top of the town hall and who appears in my avitar.

The one on the side of Castle House was made in 1961 by a more contemporary artist so it looks different to the more traditional, frequently naked, images of him.

There is an article on here somewhere about statues of Vulcan with more details of this one.

The "bundle of sticks" will be his metal working tools.

I think the first photo in post #01 is of the river Don between Deepcar and Oughtibridge, (A6102) Langsett Rd. North,

photo could have been taken just north of Oughtibridge, downstream of the

Very impressed, sorry I couldn't get the ducks and bridge at Oughtibridge ... maybe someone else can.

The first photo in post #01 is of the river Don between Deepcar and Oughtibridge, (A6102) Langsett Rd. North,

photo could have been taken just north of Oughtibridge, downstream of the

Who is up for a couple of hundred shots from the bottom of the Moor out up City Road, Gleadless and outwards from there ... or Abbeydale Road start to finish .... or ... or ...

The derelict building in #6, 128 Infirmary Road...

126-130 Infirmary Road (right to left) (Corner of Albert Terrace Road)

1901 Directory

126 Gregg, Horatio JH pawnbro

128 Guite John Edwd confectioner

130 May W. dyer

132 Spencer Charles H news agent

This image from Picture Sheffield shows the corner shop (126) in better days:

http://www.picturesh...n=zoom&id=15802

The sorry state of the Post Office, owners hang your head in shame.

Richard : first of all many congrats on all the photos - you have done an absolutely fantastic job in capturing all those buildings.

Secondly, I totally agree with you regarding the Post Office - what a beautiful building that has been left to rot - shameful doesnt begin to describe it :angry:

It's about this point that my knee started to seize up a tad, so, what better than a stroll from West Street down to the station ...

Ennis Letter-box, City Hall