Attercliffe Decendants

LittleAl

Hello everyone!

On the 1861 census, it indicates my ancesters living in Pinfold Lane, Petigary Row - in the Parish of Attercliffe. On Google earth I have found Pinfold Lane (a little distance away from what I would consider Attercliffe) but no sign of Petigary Row (if the spelling is correct).

Any help would be appreciated especially any maps.

Thanks,

Alan

Hello everyone!

On the 1861 census, it indicates my ancesters living in Pinfold Lane, Petigary Row - in the Parish of Attercliffe. On Google earth I have found Pinfold Lane (a little distance away from what I would consider Attercliffe) but no sign of Petigary Row (if the spelling is correct).

Any help would be appreciated especially any maps.

Thanks,

Alan

In the 19th Century what is now Staniforth Road was called Pinfold Lane, so one end was definitely in Attercliffe.

A look through the maps on this forum and on oldmaps.co.uk doesn't show Petigary Row anywhere in the vicinity, though.

Thank you everyone!

Remarkably, the "random census from 1861" submitted by Syrup, actually shows my great,great grandfather/grandmother, Frederick and Mary Capps with my great grandfather, Thomas Capps.

Ten years later in the the 1871 census several of the family had moved to Tankerd/Tankard Hill, again, somewhere in Attercliffe but I'm not able to find its location.

With regard to maps, I have a copy of 1850 Attercliffe (attached) centred on the then, what appears to be Pinfold Bridge. Further, to the SW there is the village/hamlet of Woodbourne which is in the same direction as the modern Woodbridge Road. So it looks fairly conclusive that Pinfold lane is now Stanisforth Road with Petigary Row somewhere off it. All-in-all, a very good result!

Thanks

Ten years later in the the 1871 census several of the family had moved to Tankerd/Tankard Hill, again, somewhere in Attercliffe but I'm not able to find its location.

Tankard Hill, Attercliffe, 1853.

Flash Earth

Artizan Row

Sheffield and Rotherham Independent 15 Nov 1856

I can find Artizan View in the 1861 Census but nothing for Artizan Row.

I'm suggesting that you found Artizan Row and posted the image in message #3 above, where it had been incorrectly read as "Petigary". :)

I'm suggesting that you found Artizan Row and posted the image in message #3 above, where it had been incorrectly read as "Petigary". :)

Random image from 1861 Census for Artizan View.

I found Petigray Row from a transcription, but looking carefully at the first 1861 census sent by Syrup (Schedule 252, Frederick Capps et al), it can be seen that the address is Artizan Row, off Pinfold Lane - although, looking at the first entry (schedule 248 - ?? ?? Mount), is that the main road?

It says Broad Oaks Mount

The next page sheds more light:

With all three address 'elements' from the previous page used together I think that Artizan Row is part of, or within, Broad Oaks Mount.