What Is The Student Population Of Sheffield Please ?

RichardB

Thats a big number, is 10% typical for large cities ?

That deends on the City.

We have 2 (very good and highly rated) universities now.

Many Cities also have 2 because, like us they originally had one university + a polytechnic or college which gained University status in the 1990's.

Sheffield has the university dating back to 1903, and Hallam University which was Sheffield Polytechnic not that long ago, and Sheffield College not that much longer before that.

Some Cities will still only have 1 University (like Derby) and some may have 3 or more (like Manchester).

The population of these Cities make vary enormously as does their student populations so the 10% figure will be subject to some variation.

Then of course there is Oxford and Cambridge, - their "university" consists of many colleges, each effectively a University in its own right. If you ever visit these Cities it seems that the whole place is just one big university and that everybody you meet is a student, - it must be more than 10% there.

For me Sheffield university students (apart from odd disgraceful incident at the cenotaph in Barkers Pool) do us a lot of good.

There are many, mainly Asian, International students who make the City more cosmopolitan.

I work in a graduate profession and the people I work with are from all over Britain. Most of them came to the Sheffield Universities to get their degree and liked the place so much they never went home and instead settled here and now live and work locally. Surely that says a lot about Shefffield as a place to live.