Backstreet, Gleadless (Either 1921 Or 1930)

RichardB

Not exactly a back street. It is Gleadless Road looking from the Townend direction towards Heeley. The shop on the right is the old Gleadless Post Office and the Heeley & Sheffield is out of sight behind it.

Compare with this one from Picture Sheffield.

Is anyone on here bidding on this & the other Sheffield area photos from the same seller?

Compare with this one from Picture Sheffield.

WOW!

The picture is as recent as 1967 and it looks totally different and very out of date.

I have been going along Gleadless Road at Townend since my grandparents moved to the Herdings in 1959 and I can hardly remember it being like that.

Is that the Sheffield & Heeley house behind at the left?

I can remember going in the old, small butchers shop opposite the Sheffield & Heeley on the other side of Hollinsend Road in the days when it did have an actual junction with Gleadless Road. That was around 1962-3. Things must have changed very quickly after that.

It is indeed the Heeley & Sheffield in the background of the Picture Sheffield image.

The butcher's opposite was Websters, as seen here.

Annoyingly I don't remember this part of Gleadless Road looking like this at all, so it must have all changed by the very early 1970s.

It is indeed the Heeley & Sheffield in the background of the Picture Sheffield image.

The butcher's opposite was Websters, as seen here.

Annoyingly I don't remember this part of Gleadless Road looking like this at all, so it must have all changed by the very early 1970s.

Websters shop is exactly as I remember it in the linked picture, very small, sawdust on the floor, and I was trold there was a small yard at the side where pigs were slaughtered and butchered to be sold fresh.

Websters butchers still exists, - their shop is now at the opposite end of townend on Whites Lane, just past the garage where the Vets, pet shop, newsagents and greengrocers shops are.

By 1970 it had certainly all changed. Until I saw your linked picture dated 1967 I would have thought it had all gone by then, - although I know from memory it was like that in the earlier part of the 1960's