What Year Is This Please ?

RichardB

Big open area, top centre, Kelmsley House on there, North side of Cathedral graveyard wider that it is now, gateposts visible at South end of East Parade.

What else can anybody tell me please ?

Perhaps a bit daft but the Star building (kelmsley house) looks very new compared to all the other buildings in the picture and it is placed centrally in the picture so my guess would be 1916

Nice to see someone having a go. Bear with me, I may have some further detail to add.

Perhaps a bit daft but the Star building (kelmsley house) looks very new compared to all the other buildings in the picture and it is placed centrally in the picture so my guess would be 1916

You have previously supplied the answer to this one Dunsby - to the exact date !

(That should cause your brains to boil a little ...)

Elected 1920 - William Farewell Wardley - died 1941!

I was going to say 1920

Without your clue I was going to try and find out the date that the ELR saleroom was built - it must have been not long before then - its in the picture

I note that Mayor WF Wardley had the second name of Farewell - unusual

Just in case you had not seen it this document is interesting: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/.../Mayors-etc--PDF--248-KB-.pdf (and was the source of my solution)

It's actually 1921, but I'm still hopeful Dunsby can pin it down to a month, and even a date (given the above and possibly the mention of Massey the New Zealand PM elsewhere on this site - couldn't make it any easier for him, could I).

ELR opening date might be interesting to pin down. (Eadon, Lockwood and Riddle - is that correct ?)

I was going to say 1920

Without your clue I was going to try and find out the date that the ELR saleroom was built - it must have been not long before then - its in the picture

I note that Mayor WF Wardley had the second name of Farewell - unusual

Just in case you had not seen it this document is interesting: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/.../Mayors-etc--PDF--248-KB-.pdf (and was the source of my solution)

Wikiwotsits says 1913, was Mr. Wardley Lord Mayor twice ?

No Wikiwotsits he say no !

HD

Sorry, got hold of the wrong end of the stick, (nothing new there).

I thought the post was refering to the building date of Kelmsley House, not the date of the photo.

Kelmsley House was built in two phases between 1913 and 1915 with the second part built over the demolished original building.

In a similar way the old Pawson & Brailsford building was built as separate vertical halves just above, over the other side of York Street.

This is now Lloyds Bank (or was the last time I looked).

HD

It is the date of the photo we are after. I started my description with the big, open area at the top centre; then, because it stands out Kelmsley House came to the forefront of the discussion.

Sorry, got hold of the wrong end of the stick, (nothing new there).

I thought the post was refering to the building date of Kelmsley House, not the date of the photo.

Kelmsley House was built in two phases between 1913 and 1915 with the second part built over the demolished original building.

In a similar way the old Pawson & Brailsford building was built as separate vertical halves just above, over the other side of York Street.

This is now Lloyds Bank (or was the last time I looked).

HD

You have previously supplied the answer to this one Dunsby - to the exact date !

(That should cause your brains to boil a little ...)

I knew it!!

I knew I had seen that very same photo before with exactly the same question attached to it

I didn't realise that we had an answer to the question though.

Dunsby supplied the answer to this question without knowing it. He answered a completely different question, or rather made a series of statements, one of which answers our current question.

New Zealand Prime Minister made a Freeman of the City at the same time this picture was taken.

I knew it!!

I knew I had seen that very same photo before with exactly the same question attached to it

I didn't realise that we had an answer to the question though.

Here is a photo of him! Good name for a tractor ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:William_Ferguson_Massey_1919.jpg

Good job; which makes the newspaper photograph 11th August 1921 since it says on the back "yesterday, blah, blah Massey, blah, Freeman, blah Lord Mayor, blah" but with more detail and less blah ...