Toulson Family, Sheffield, 1900's

Guest david toulson

Guest david toulson

Hello

I am new to this forum and would like to ask for local information as part of my family history search. i have travelled to Sheffield many times but it has been redeveloped and i cant find the areas from the 1900's.

My family moved to Heppenstall lane Attercliffe in the 1880's where my grandad was born, in the 1901 cencus they were living and working at Cottage paddock farm, Sheffield park. there were several Toulson familys in the area , all had originaly moved from Billinghay, Lincs. other addresses in Sheffield include, Moore street and Britnall street.

could an body please help me with any information. also is there any photo archive of sheffield soldiers of WW1

Thanks

Dave Toulson

Hi Dave

I have recently been tracing my family tree and i am related to some Sheffield Toulsons, My Nans sister Betty Jordan married a Sidney L Toulson, they had 3 sons in the 50's Anthony, Timothy and Christopher, i know that Anthony died at birth or soon after birth, my middle name is Anthony after him, i'm still at the early stages of this family tree stuff so i'm not sure if these Toulsons are related to you or not.

Karl

Hello

I am new to this forum and would like to ask for local information as part of my family history search. i have travelled to Sheffield many times but it has been redeveloped and i cant find the areas from the 1900's.

My family moved to Heppenstall lane Attercliffe in the 1880's where my grandad was born, in the 1901 cencus they were living and working at Cottage paddock farm, Sheffield park. there were several Toulson familys in the area , all had originaly moved from Billinghay, Lincs. other addresses in Sheffield include, Moore street and Britnall street.

could an body please help me with any information. also is there any photo archive of sheffield soldiers of WW1

Thanks

Dave Toulson

Hi Dave Just in case you dont have this even though you do seem to have the information it might help anyone trying to help you.

1901 Census.

Guest david toulson

Hi Karl

thank you for the post. yes they are distant relations, i share a common ancestor from 1650, if you need any info on the toulson familly i have a lot to share,

Regards

Dave

Guest david toulson

Hi Sheffield history pro.

Thanks for the cencus page this is my family. my problem is the geography, do you know the location and is it still there.

Many thanks

regards

Dave

Guest david toulson

Hi Syrup

Just figured out your name is not Sheffield history pro , beg your pardon thanks for the census.

Regards

Dave

PS

Is there a reason people use nick names, and do you have to be careful of giving out contact details?

Hi Syrup

Just figured out your name is not Sheffield history pro , beg your pardon thanks for the census.

Regards

Dave

PS

Is there a reason people use nick names, and do you have to be careful of giving out contact details?

Hi David

Not had any luck finding a positive location of the Farm for you as yet but i have found another of your relations

has been looking for the same place,

Best of luck Gary ( aka syrup )

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENG-SHEFFIELD/2003-05/1052581949

Guest david toulson

Thanks Gary

this will keep me occupied for a while, its the best lead ive had.

Regards

Dave T

Danielle Quintal Lafranchise, who was one of the founders of Sheffield Records Online (I don't know if she is still involved), is related to the TODD family who were in another cottage at Paddock Farm in 1901 - they appear on the previous page to that posted above.

in 2004 and 2005 I did some 'digging' for her. Here are a few of the things I found:

Two drawings from Henry Tatton's notebooks (Tatton went round the Sheffield area in the 1920s and 30s drawing old buildings and making notes about them. His notebooks are in Sheffield Local Studies

Library.)

I think this map is from the Alan Godfrey 1903 Heeley sheet (but I can't locate my original at the moment). The wood bottom left is Buck Wood. The lane that approaches the farm from the northeast is the access to the farm from City Road (formerly Intake Road) - it is very long, with twists

and turns.

Danielle called this 'Needham Farm'. The Needhams and the Todds were related. A better version of this print is image s06309 at Picture Sheffield, where it is called Paddock Farm.

One of the contributors to earlier discussions was Carol Toulson. (she *may* be on Facebook, living in Leeds)

Enough - must sleep

Guest david toulson

Hi Hugh

Thank you for the post i imagine the could be working tennants for the Needhams.

man thanks

Dave T