Sheffield And District Family History Society - Recent Cd Releases

Unitedite Returns

I thought that I would take this opportunity to bring to your attention, a number of recent CD releases, [is that the right word for transcribed archives?] by the Sheffield and District Family History Society.

I am not a member of the Society, but I do have great respect of the work that they do and with my own interest in the history of my own family and its’ Sheffield context, I am an avid and a regular purchaser of their products.

I picked up these four items in the Sheffield Scene outlet, adjoining the Town Hall and I was delighted to find the same, as they were not even advertised on the Society’s own website at that time, [a few weeks ago].

1: Sheffield Churchyard Burials Transcript 1767 to 1812 [st Peter, St Paul, St James, Attercliffe Hill Top Chapel and Ecclesall Chapel. Cost £7.50.

For me personally, this is a definitive piece of work, as it covers a very substantive part of the equally substantive gap, [1737 to 1812], in the “Cathedral” internment records that has existed for many years. Historically, this has been a great hindrance to anyone doing serious research into “Sheffield” based family history, as the Hunter Society and Yorkshire Archaeological Society burial transcriptions end in 1736.

I am sure that it will very much be a complementary addition to Sheffield and District Family History Society’s other “Cathedral” internment transcription, covering the period 1813 to 1855 and indeed to all of their other, equally excellent baptismal and marriage transcriptions.

Containing over 45,000 individual burial records, it is for me, an awesome piece of work and I have every respect for those individuals that painstakingly trawled through the parish registers in order to produce this.

Long frustrated by this major gap in an easily searchable database for this period, I actually spent well over twelve months painstaking transcribing onto Excel Format, each and every surname within this 1737 to 1812 period that had any possible association with my own family. In the end, it added up to roughly 8,000 transcriptions and having worked with the self same records, with their barely legible and often badly faded handwritten entries and with upwards of four individual entries squeezed onto one line of text, I am astonished that anyone would find the courage to tackle such a record wholesale. Well done guys!

One that I would very definitely recommend for any seriously minded genealogical researcher.

2: Church of the Ascension, Oughtibridge Parish Records; C 1843 – 1996 and M 1868 – 1986 and B 1843 – 1920 records £5.00

3: South Yorkshire Asylum Patient Admissions and Discharges 1872 – 1911 records £5.00

4: St Anne’s Church, Netherthorpe; C 1883 – 1941 and M 1884 – 1929

St Stephen’s Church, Netherthorpe; C 1858 – 1940 and M 1859 – 1940

St Luke’s Church, Solly Street; C 1852 – 1938 and M 1860 – 1938

Single CD contains all three £5.00