Paradise Square/ Bustards.

Guest JO HIbbard

Guest JO HIbbard

Hello everyone,

I am not sure if I am on the right forum to ask for help with research but I saw an old thread on here regarding the BUSTARD family and think they might be mine but I am a little lost.

The earlier thread mentions the Bustard's with a connection to Paradise Square, Rev John and Matthew Bustard (Gilder).

I have a Sarah Ann BUSTARD Baptised 1823 St Peter and ST Paul to Ann Unknown and Matthew BUSTARD (Gilder).

On the 1841 census there is no mention of Matthew so I presumed he had died but Anne is with an Ellen BUSTARD (daughter), George BEELEY, Sarah Ann BEELEY formally BUSTARD (married 1840) and John ...do...who is the same age as them (15?) so I am presuming that he is a BUSTARD.

Also, I know that someone has spoken of Ann Fuller but I cannot find whether Matthew is the son of Ann Fuller, brother of Rev John.

I have been trying to figure this out for about 10 years and decided to come back to it. I once asked a member of the FULLER/BUSTARD family and they said that they doubted this connection.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

JO.

From Sheffield Indexers:

Bustard, Matthew (, gilder, gilt spoon and ball maker).

Residing at 10 Workh. Croft, Sheffield in 1825.

Recorded in: Gells 1825 Directory of Sheffield.

Bustard, Elizabeth (of Sheffield, born 1818-06-28).

Baptised August 12, 1818, by E Goodwin at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents name(s) are Ann & Matthew (Gilder).

Bustard, Ellen (of Sheffield, born 1827-06-21).

Baptised December 28, 1836, by J Gibson at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents name(s) are Ann & Matthew (Grinder).

Bustard, Marian (of Sheffield, born 1824-12-25).

Baptised December 28, 1836, by J Gibson at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents name(s) are Ann & Matthew (Grinder).

Bustard, Sarah Ann (of Sheffield, born 1823-06-18).

Baptised August 6, 1823, by W H Bull at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents name(s) are Ann & Matthew (Gilder).

Fuller Bustard marriage:

Guest JO HIbbard

Wow, thanks Ted! I now need to find who Matthew's mother was. I saw on a website the suggestion of Ann Walker so off to ancestry to try to confirm this. Thank you, that has really helped.

Guest JO HIbbard

The plot thickens. This is Ann my ggggg:

Bustard, Ann (~, Gentlewmn.).

Residing at 5 St Philips Rd, in 1841.

Recorded in: Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheff & Roth Directory - 1841.

Would she have been the wife of a gilder? This is seriously confusing. I might put it away for another 10 years! :)

The plot thickens. This is Ann my ggggg:

Bustard, Ann (~, Gentlewmn.).

Residing at 5 St Philips Rd, in 1841.

Recorded in: Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheff & Roth Directory - 1841.

Would she have been the wife of a gilder? This is seriously confusing. I might put it away for another 10 years! :)

I dont know if this is relivent.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Thursday, July 13, 1876;

Guest JO HIbbard

Thanks Syrup, yes that is her!! I just found this too tonight and it is definitely her as there is her grandson in the same grave along with 14 others! Looks like the poor woman died a pauper.:

BUSTARD, Ann (widow, age 77).

Died at 14 Trinity Street; Buried on July 11, 1876 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 12, Section M of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

SheffieldRecordsOnline.org.uk

Matthew Bustard, Gilder, gilt spoon & ball maker, 10 Workhouse Croft; Baine's 1822

From Sheffield Indexers:

Bustard, Matthew (, gilder, gilt spoon and ball maker).

Residing at 10 Workh. Croft, Sheffield in 1825.

Recorded in: Gells 1825 Directory of Sheffield.

Possibly the correct Ann Bustard - at St Phillips Road in 1841?

George Beeley might be related - grandson Beeley living with her in 1851?

In 1842 running a lodging house in Copper Street, and still there in 1870 (another robbery)

Guest JO HIbbard

Thankyou all. Yes Richard that is the one I was looking at but still trying to find a marriage. Brilliant, thankyou.

Thanks again Ted. Haha fancy pinching George's boots. I think that George is a grandad of mine and is the husband of Sarah Ann Bustard. I am on ancestry now trying to unpick all this. The newpaper cutting is brilliant :D The grandchild on the 1851 seems to be a grand daughter Lydia who is a grandma of mine also.

I do get a sinking feeling when "an old thread" is mentioned and I search for it ... and it's me doing the original post .. memory like a ... thing with holes in it ... erm.

Bustard and others.

Hello everyone,

I am not sure if I am on the right forum to ask for help with research but I saw an old thread on here regarding the BUSTARD family and think they might be mine but I am a little lost.

Guest JO HIbbard

Thank you. I love the comment on there from you about the lady of the night approaching you haha.

Thanks Syrup, yes that is her!! I just found this too tonight and it is definitely her as there is her grandson in the same grave along with 14 others! Looks like the poor woman died a pauper.:

BUSTARD, Ann (widow, age 77).

Died at 14 Trinity Street; Buried on July 11, 1876 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 12, Section M of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

You will note that in the list of those buried in grave M12 (16 individuals) some are listed as in 'consecrated' ground and others in 'general' ground. This is because, at Burngreave, unlike other Sheffield cemeteries, the section letters were duplicated in the Church of England (consecrated) and non-conformist (unconsecrated) portions.

So those 16 burials are in two graves. Ann BUSTARD is one of 7 buried in the grave in the consecrated portion.

Hugh

Guest JO HIbbard

Thanks Hugh , I hadn't noticed that! I thought that there were a lot of them in there! That's much better.

Thanks.