Cowmouth Farm (The Dairy) Norton

duckweed

Some additional information:

Map as at 1890:

Details of the farm's sale in 1852 - went for £2750, lower than expected as the building boom hadn't reached Norton yet:

The farm seems to have been well run in most respects, but one of the employees was not Health and Safety conscious:

To illustrate the usual professional standards upheld at the farm:

An accident with a Cowmouth milk cart and a hit-and-run driver:

And the final notice for Thomas Linley in 1862, though he had been living at Bole Hill for some years:

There is also a series of reports about a fugitive African slave who was assisted by Elijah Wragg.

In 1859 Mr Thos Handley was lodging near the village of Blackburn, and had brought a 20 year old Kaffir slave, Ned, back with him when he returned from Africa to make purchases of cattle &c. The African absconded. Notices were posted by his 'owner' as the return voyage was due. The slave was apprehended near Grimesthorpe but escaped. He spent several weeks living in the woods at Norton, being ' liberally supplied with victuals' at Mr Elijah Wragg's farm-house. On 15th October a case of sheep slaughtering was reported as being carried out at Hackenthorpe by 'a coloured man with no shoes and a big knife'. He also appeared to have been 'intimate with the neighbouring potato crops'.

The police and the Anti-Slavery Society took an interest in the matter. A search by hundreds of workmen failed to find him. Two labourers apprehended him near Aston but he threw one over a hedge and escaped. There was no report of the eventual outcome of this story.

Thanks for all the newspaper accounts. They are amazing. I shall add them to my story about Cowmouth.Certainly adds a bit of colour.

Re field names I have all of them from the Tithe map of 1840s, but obviously names like Turnpike Field don't help as that wouldn't be the name in Tudor times.

Square Bent was part of Sheepshill and so not Cowmouth in late 16th century. The problem is also some field names change according to who is farming the land and spelling is also not standardised but I live in hope that eventually I will be able to prove Cowmouths earlier existence.

E. Wragg, Farmer, Cowmouth, Norton.

Post Office Directory of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire - 1855.

(Elijah from other information posted on here).

The Wraggs I had plenty detail of but Sydney Slack is new one on me. I shall have to see what else I can find on him.

My late father worked as a "milk roundsman" for Amos Knowles. He (my father) stayed with the dairy through the sale to Express which was eventually bought out by Nothern Dairies (Foods) until he retired.

I remember my dad talking about how Express wanted to buy Knowles' recipe for his yoghurts to use as "Ski", but instead he sold it to Joseph and Edgar Dickinson at Longley Farm.

The Wraggs I had plenty detail of but Sydney Slack is new one on me. I shall have to see what else I can find on him.

The only Newspaper refferance i can find for a Sydney Slack is this.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent(Sheffield, England), Monday, August 12, 1895.

Interesting. I shall look at previous census records and see what else I can find about him. I also love the yoghurt story.

I looked up the runaway slave and have my suspicions that the same person turns up later as a labourer in Sheffield married to a dress maker. I think I will have to find marriage records etc and see if I could be right.

There are lots of reports about Constable Slack's activities (exclude "Sydney" from the search term) - mainly fairly humdrum, with the possible exception of the attack on him by a cripple with his crutch in Pea Croft, the police were not popular in that area and an audience of women cheered the attacker on.

By July 1898 Police-Constable S.Slack had been appointed an inspector in the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and was praised for his zeal at their annual meeting the following March. Prosecutions had almost doubled in a year. On Tuesday March 29th 1900, the Watch Committee promoted him to the rank of sergeant, noting that before his move to the S.P.C.A. he had been employed in the Water Lane charge office.

Could his time with the S.P.C.A have been the trigger for his move into farming?

He was in farming originally before he joined the police force. His father had a small farm. My guess is he took to the police to try and earn enough to set himself up as a farmer.