Fisher, John Bower

Marcelle

I've been researching the Fisher family.

John Fisher, born about 1818 in Sheffield married Caroline Munn 25 March 1838 in the Parish church in Ecclesfield. Her father was John Munn, a Skinner and John Fisher's father was William, A Saw Smith.

A person has contacted me saying that John Fisher's name was John 'Bower' Fisher and that his parents were William & Rebecca Fisher.

As the name Bower is not part of John's name on his Marriage Certificate and is not mentioned on any Census info, I was wondering if someone could help me find John's father William and his mother for whom I don't have a name. I don't know if Rebecca is or isn't his mother.

It always amazes me that the poor mother doesn't get a mention on Marriage Certificates as it would make looking so much easier.....well sometimes!

Anyway, I do hope someone can help me.

Thanks

Marcelle

Western Australia

It occurs to me that he could have got his middle name from his mother's maiden name. Could she be Rebecca Bower?

Baptisms from http://www.sheffieldindexers.com

Fisher, Elizabeth (of Sheffield, born 1815-11-16).

Baptised April 14, 1816, by M Preston at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents name(s) are Rebecca & William (Sawsmith).

Fisher, John Bower (of Sheffield, born 1818-08-04).

Baptised October 4, 1818, by E Goodwin at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents name(s) are Rebecca & William (Saw maker).

Fisher, Elizabeth (of Sheffield, born 1820-01-10).

Baptised August 20, 1820, by M Preston at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents name(s) are Rebecca & William (Saw Maker).

Fisher, Rebecca (of Sheffd., born 1821-06-11).

Baptised July 8, 1821, by William H. Vale at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents name(s) are Rebecca & William (Saw maker).

Fisher, Joseph (of Sheffd, born 1826-12-28).

Baptised June 26, 1831, by E Goodwin at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.

Parents name(s) are Rebecca & William (Saw Maker).

There is also this thread from a Rootsweb list:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENG-YORKSHIRE/2010-09/1285745964

(the follow-ups are the 3rd and 4th ones in the list after that message)

Hugh

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and input. I had thought of the name Bower being his mother's maiden name but because Bower is not on his Marriage Certificate or on any other listings except the Baptism on Sheffield Indexers, I can't say it's him just yet. The only common denominator is Leadmill Road which appears on Census Records for several of the generations of Fishers. I'll order the Birth Certificate of John Bower to see if it sheds any light. I just wish I could find an adult, John Bower Fisher. Grrrrr...

Thanks again to you all.

Marcelle

Western Australia