Beautiful Public Well In Gell Street.

RichardB

This one likely to be beyond our abilities to "find stuff"...

Beautiful Public Well in Gell Street, complete with an inscription stone by the Late Rev. James Wilkinson.

For some years past the water has disappeared; the inscription stone, however, remained, wantonly defaced as it may be.

Correspondence to Sheffield Mercury June 25, 1836 (p. 207) regarding "Justice Wilkinson's Well"

---------------------------------------------

I've never seen the printed article, nor can I tell you who wrote it - it appears to be signed "N" - but I do own what would appear to be a transcription of the letter; any ideas anyone please ?

"1791, November 26th. Spring Garden Well.

To the Public use, by the Rev. James Wilkinson, and Philip Gell, Esq.

Freely take - Freely communicate - Thank God"

Spring Garden Well

Is this where we get our Gell Street and Wilkinson Street from I wonder, Philip Gell and James Wilkinson.

For newer members only :

Who was known as "the Father of Sheffield" ?

Is this where we get our Gell Street and Wilkinson Street from I wonder, Philip Gell and James Wilkinson.

Beautiful Public Well in Gell Street, complete with an inscription stone by the Late Rev. James Wilkinson.

For some years past the water has disappeared; the inscription stone, however, remained, wantonly defaced as it may be.

Correspondence to Sheffield Mercury June 25, 1836 (p. 207) regarding "Justice Wilkinson's Well"

I've never seen the printed article, nor can I tell you who wrote it - it appears to be signed "N" - but I do own what would appear to be a transcription of the letter; any ideas anyone please ?

On the 1853 Town Plan on old-maps.co.uk is a Spring House on Gell Street just south of Glossop Road.

Adjacent to this is a path from Gell Street leading to what are marked as Wells.

HD

On the 1853 Town Plan on old-maps.co.uk is a Spring House on Gell Street just south of Glossop Road.

Adjacent to this is a path from Gell Street leading to what are marked as Wells.

HD

There is also a new Spring House on Glossop Road / West Street owned by the University.

I dont suppose you could pinpoint the well for me could you, I would love to go and see it.

I know nothing more than is contained in this thread.

I dont suppose you could pinpoint the well for me could you, I would love to go and see it.

Looks like it was here!

"The Government was then wanting a great deal of oak timber for ship-building, and the trees in Broomhall Spring were sold for that purpose. The roots were dug up, and the land turned into the gardensof which we have been speaking." The inscription on the stone over the trough was still there up to 1836. It ran :" Spring Garden Well. To the public use, by the Rev. James Wilkinson and Philip Gell, Esq. Freely take-freely communicate-thank God ;" its site is now enclosed in the garden of the house at the corner of Gell street and Conway street.