Can Anyone Tell Me What This Says?

Guest Paul C

Guest Paul C

Hi folks,

I've been looking through my great uncle's army pension records from 1921 and need a bit of help with this bit regarding his previous employer. Occupation/trade looks like "fetler" but all I can make out of the employer is "Hamptons" and "Sheffield". :unsure:

Can anyone else tell what this says, and if possible provide a bit of info about the address or the employer?

Thanks in advance!

Guest Barbara M

It says " C & J HAMPTONS , OUSE RD , SHEFFIELD 9 " , it was an engineering company just to rear of Staniforth Rd; opposite the Staniforth Arms.

Hello from Canada.

A 'fetler' was a job in a steel foundry. When steel castings were made and all the sand etc removed there was always areas of steel that had 'escaped' the mold. It was necessary to grind off this surplus steel to clean up the casting. An analogy would be chocolates that have extra chocolate at the centre of each piece that was great to bite off before staring on the chocolate itself. :-)

Kelly's 1925.

Hampton C & J Limited, vice makers, engineers &

iron founders, Record works & foundries, Ouse Road.

Hampton Charles, tool manufacturer (C& J Ltd. ),

h 19 Kingfield Road.

Hampton Charles William, tool manufacturer (C& J Ltd. ),

h 34 Spring Hill Road.

Hampton Horace, tool manufacturer (C & J Ltd. ),

h 22 Mylnhurst Road.

C. and J. Hampton, Grace's Guide.

Guest Paul C

Interesting stuff, thanks for that! I take it the buildings on Ouse Road are long gone? I've looked at the satellite images on Google Maps and can see some foundations on what looks like derelict land between the road and the railway - is that where it was?

Guest Barbara M

As far as I can remember it was in the vicinity of the cross on Ouse Rd , I worked at a hairdressers shop on Staniforth Rd in 1958 onwards , it was opposite the Staniforth Arms & it was my job as the apprentice to take my employers dog a walk every lunchtime , the route I took was up Ouse Rd & past Hamptons , then Ouseburn Rd, turn right over Kettle Bridge through the allotments right again to go back over the railway bridge & up Dolphin St , then back up Broad Oaks to Staniforth Rd !! The wholesale market was being built around this time.

The property in the Ouse Rd area was all terraced houses. The attached map is not very clear.

Guest Barbara M

As far as I can remember it was in the vicinity of the cross on Ouse Rd , I worked at a hairdressers shop on Staniforth Rd in 1958 onwards , it was opposite the Staniforth Arms & it was my job as the apprentice to take my employers dog a walk every lunchtime , the route I took was up Ouse Rd & past Hamptons , then Ouseburn Rd, turn right over Kettle Bridge through the allotments right again to go back over the railway bridge & up Dolphin St , then back up Broad Oaks to Staniforth Rd !! The wholesale market was being built around this time.

The property in the Ouse Rd area was all terraced houses. The attached map is not very clear.

Thanks for editing this for me Madannie77....looks a lot neater now , I always get in a mess with attaching !! Cheers , Barbara.