Brickwall Time - Sarah Mullaney

saw119

Come up against another brickwall with Sarah Mullaney, born Sheffield 30th November 1892, married Sheffield Oct-Nov-Dec Qtr 1911, died Sheffield 1975 but I cannot find her or, so it seems, her family on the 1901 census return. I think I have her on the 1911 census but she is misspelt on both Ancestry (Mulloaney) and Findmypast (Mullancey) aged 18 years as a border on Stafford Street, Park. Hoping a few fresh eyes can help me out.

It looks to me that the surname is that poorly spelt, so searching just for Sarah is going to take ages. For example if the first letter has changed, it really opens up the field. If your a glutton for punishment you could change the first letter several times :wacko: But how will you know you have the right girl even if you find a match? If it's Mulloaney on one site it could also be Bulloaney ;-)lol

If I were you I would order the birth cert! That will give you the parents names and you can search for all 3 at the same time in the 1901. That should narrow the surname range down a bit. Any other kids will show up and the parents age, which can take you back further.

I think I've pretty much resigned myself to buying the birth cert. She's just a tangential part of my research though so I was hoping to avoid the expense.

Come up against another brickwall with Sarah Mullaney, born Sheffield 30th November 1892, married Sheffield Oct-Nov-Dec Qtr 1911, died Sheffield 1975 but I cannot find her or, so it seems, her family on the 1901 census return. I think I have her on the 1911 census but she is misspelt on both Ancestry (Mulloaney) and Findmypast (Mullancey) aged 18 years as a border on Stafford Street, Park. Hoping a few fresh eyes can help me out.

I have found a Marriage for a Sarah Mullaney who was Born Sheffield 1893 to either George H HASTINGS, or George F KEMPTON, in 1911.

Do any of these names help ?.

Civil Registration event: Death

Name: KEMPTON, Sarah

Registration district: Sheffield

County: Yorkshire

Year of registration: 1975

Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun

Date of birth: 30 November 1892

Yes, they're both her (and she married George F Kempton) and I'm afraid I already had that information. I also have her birth in Sheffield in 1892 but I cannot for the life of me find her in the 1901 census.