Redmires Camp

Guest smudge118

Guest smudge118

I was wondering if maybe anyone has any pictures, or knows of any one who has any pictures of Redmires Camp during the ww2 period when it was used as a pow camp. I am especially interested in finding a plan of the camp as it was then. Any info anyone has would be much appreciated, but please no links to the usual web sites as I have exhausted all of thease already. Also has anyone any idea where the camp huts ended up after they were auctioned off? Thanks in advance.

You'll find a number of topics and posts on here regarding Redmires PoW camp, including the locations of 2 of the huts. There's a facebook page set up by a study group which if I remember correctly, has some paintings of the camp done by one of the PoW's. I have a plan of the camp which I've been meaning to post for a while. It's too big for my scanner but I'll see what I can do.

There is a facebook page that you might find interesting.

I think the old huts ended up all over the place, bought by farmers for storage etc. I think there was a pic on here a few weeks ago of one out Lincolnshire way, although it looked slightly different to the ones I've seen in many photo's on Sheffield Archives. I'm also fairly sure that there is one below the hairpin bend of Roper Hill behind Peat Farm, which prior to being placed there was used as the original St Luke's Church on Blackbrook Rd.

You'll find a number of topics and posts on here regarding Redmires PoW camp, including the locations of 2 of the huts. There's a facebook page set up by a study group which if I remember correctly, has some paintings of the camp done by one of the PoW's. I have a plan of the camp which I've been meaning to post for a while. It's too big for my scanner but I'll see what I can do.

I've checked my copy and unfortunately it's Crown Copyright so I can't post it. However the study group who set up the facebook page should have a copy, so you might try them.