The Bowline; Sheffield Rover Scouts In Wwii

Guest Bowline

Guest Bowline

Recently my Grandfather, Harold Hems, passed away. He left behind a bound collection of magazines sent out to Rover Scouts serving abroad in WWII, called S.L.A.B.S. He was clearly very involved in this, as he sent many letters back to be published in this magazine.

However, the magazine also makes many references to another magazine, clearly run along the same lines as the S.L.A.B.S books, called The Bowline. It appears that The Bowline was the magazine for the members of his particular rover scout regiment (the 229th Greenhill Methodists) and that my Grandfather was it's editor (all the more impressive as he was in Italy at the time).

Despite all of this information we were unable to find any copy of this magazine, which was clearly an important part of his early life. He never really talked about this, or the poems that he wrote, not only for S.L.A.B.S but also, apparently, for The Bowline. We even found a collection of poems by members of the Sheffield Rover Scouts, with his featuring heavily. But my numerous internet searches have failed to find anything at all about The Bowline or the 229th.

Does anyone know anything about The Bowline, or the 229th Greenhill Methodists? If so, it would be great to here from you.

George.

Don't have any direct knowledge of them I'm afraid, however the document linked to the attached thread gives dates. You might want to give David Worth a call in the Scout Office (0114 270 1752) as they have some relics of information in the basement for most groups. There is an outside chance it includes a copy of one of the magazines but more likely contains details of when the leaders of the group signed up etc., so there may be something relating to your grandfather.

Guest Bowline

Thank you - very interesting to see the dates that the 229th started; also to see that they are still going strong! I will phone David Worth just to see; sounds like a lead that is at least worth checking to see if anything turns up.

Thanks again,

George.