Thomas Clixby Cowlishaw

Stuart0742

Received this by email

Hello,

My name is Andrew Cowlishaw and my family and I have been trying to solve an ancient family riddle going back about 170 years.

In 1845 my great great great grandfather, Thomas Clixby Cowlishaw was born in Sheffield and then, it seems (according to census records), brought up by his maternal grandparents, Thomas and Charlotte Clixby.

Family stories and rumours speak of some nobility or wealthy father figure turning up throughout the childs early years (at least) and much later on (around the turn of the 20th century), there being a dispute over a will.

My theory is that Thomas Clixby Cowlishaw's father was John Yeoman Cowlishaw's illegitimate son.

I wonder if you can help me to prove (or disprove) my theory. Or even let me know more about either of these characters. I know JYC had a reputed silver knife manufacturing business later on, in Sheffield and also know that he shot himself in 1895 (that ties in with the story about a disputed will)

Anyway it's a fascinating story (albeit with a few gaps). Any help you can provide would be received extremely gratefully, or any knowledge about the 2 main characters and their working lives.

Kind regards,

Andrew Cowlishaw.

Kinda misses the point of forums if people 'email in' with questions..

Why not just join the site and post questions straight on here ?

That way they can interact with the responses they get..

*baffled*

No real mystery here. Thomas Cowlishaw married Thomas Clixby's daughter Betsy or Elizabeth in 1844 in Sheffield. Grandson Thomas Clixby Cowlishaw was their son and Thomas Clixby's grandson. You can see whole family in 1861 in Brightside Thomas and Betsy parents. Thomas and his father are knife hafters and there are 8 children in all Thomas is oldest,then Henry, John, Charles, Edward, Arthur, Mary Ann, and Ellen.

Obviously Thomas was with his grandparents because Mum was pregnant yet again. She had one a year practically.

Its pretty common for children to have mothers name as their middle name.

Received this by email Hello, My name is Andrew Cowlishaw and my family and I have been trying to solve an ancient family riddle going back about 170 years. In 1845 my great great great grandfather, Thomas Clixby Cowlishaw was born in Sheffield and then, it seems (according to census records), brought up by his maternal grandparents, Thomas and Charlotte Clixby. Family stories and rumours speak of some nobility or wealthy father figure turning up throughout the childs early years (at least) and much later on (around the turn of the 20th century), there being a dispute over a will. My theory is that Thomas Clixby Cowlishaw's father was John Yeoman Cowlishaw's illegitimate son. I wonder if you can help me to prove (or disprove) my theory. Or even let me know more about either of these characters. I know JYC had a reputed silver knife manufacturing business later on, in Sheffield and also know that he shot himself in 1895 (that ties in with the story about a disputed will) Anyway it's a fascinating story (albeit with a few gaps). Any help you can provide would be received extremely gratefully, or any knowledge about the 2 main characters and their working lives. Kind regards, Andrew Cowlishaw.

John Yeomans Cowlishaw 1863

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, February 14, 1863

John Yeomans Cowlishaw October 1863.

Looses oldest Son Joe Henry.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent. Supplement. (Sheffield, England), Saturday, October 17, 1863

John Yeomans Cowlishaw 1873

Made Director of Sheffield and Halamshire Bank.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, July 19, 1873

John Yeomans Cowlishaw 1884

First Mention of a Will.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Tuesday, February 05, 1884

John Yeomans Lemans Cowlishaw 1888

Youngest Son Fredrick Marries.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, November 03, 1888

DEATH OF MR. J. Y. COWLISHAW

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Thursday, January 24, 1895

DEATH OF MR. J. Y. COWLISHAW

The Inquest and Verdict.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Friday, January 25, 1895

John Yeomans Cowlishaw 1895

Auction of goods

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, March 09, 1895

John Yeomans Cowlishaw 1895

Additional Auction.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, March 23, 1895

John Yeomans Cowlishaw 1896

Probate Results.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, January 25, 1896;

Guest roorooleboo

Sorry if I missed the point. Not used to online forums, or familiar with your website. Have now registered and finding my way around it.

Hello and Welcome to the Site Roorooleboo; when you've worked out how it all works and what any of it means please, please let me know, I've been here a long time and I've spend the last three years trying to find either the exit or the gents ... !

Sorry if I missed the point. Not used to online forums, or familiar with your website. Have now registered and finding my way around it.

Is he connected with the Cowlishaws, the farmers in the Park District and around Manor Lodge, at all?

I joined here with one big question in March 2007, soon after the place opened, the question still remains !

We will, however, try our best to muster our collective knowledge and resources to provide whatever answers we can.

Please keep us updated on your progress and post some more queries for us to ponder on.

Web site is fab. I'm sure it will help me flush out my family secrets.