Newhall Tavern/ Sportsman

ukelele lady

Back to this one again, I've been doing some " processing ".

It seems the early name for the Sportsman was the Newhall Tavern address 17 Newhall Street and 33 Bridge Street.

When pubs are on a corner which most of the time they are, the directories give out one street name or the other.

If you are lucky some directories give out both addresses which I found with this one.

This is how it goes.

1828 William Skinner . Brewer and scissor manufacturer. Newhall Tavern. [ Whites ]

Address - Newhall Street , corner of Bridge Street.

1833 & 34 William Skinner . Sportsman , Bridge Street. [ Pigot's ]

1841 John Holthouse . Sportsman

Address - 33 Bridge Street & 17 Newhall Street [ Whites ]

1845- 52 T Scruton . Sportsman . 33 Bridge Street & Newhall Street.

Etc, We had William Skinner on the A to Z but under the Sportsman not the Newhall Tavern.

So we now have an earlier date of 1828.

Top quality work UkeLass - beautiful, just beautiful.

(The addition of the map makes it a masterpiece; as one who has tried work of this nature before I can appreciate the effort that has gone into this. Long may you Reign ... !)

Back to this one again, I've been doing some " processing ".

It seems the early name for the Sportsman was the Newhall Tavern address 17 Newhall Street and 33 Bridge Street.

When pubs are on a corner which most of the time they are, the directories give out one street name or the other.

If you are lucky some directories give out both addresses which I found with this one.

This is how it goes.

Top quality work UkeLass - beautiful, just beautiful.

(The addition of the map makes it a masterpiece; as one who has tried work of this nature before I can appreciate the effort that has gone into this. Long may you Reign ... !)

Steady on there Richard, you'll be buying me a drink next.

I've noticed how the lady [ukelele Lady ] has changed to Lass and with Vox too, but don't worry about it, I love it.

It sounds more fitting and traditional. lol

I've not used UkeLass before and obviously I stole it from Vox, I'm normally a bit more formal (boring, maybe).

Steady on there Richard, you'll be buying me a drink next.

I've noticed how the lady [ukelele Lady ] has changed to Lass and with Vox too, but don't worry about it, I love it.

It sounds more fitting and traditional. lol

As for Edmund, I did come across John Skinner of Stanley Street and also others

that may be related to William Skinner.

eg:

1834 Joseph Skinner . Three Cranes , Queen Street.

1839 - 41 Ebenezer Skinner . Sportsman at 14 Bridgehouses.

See our A to Z of pubs

The Pack Horse Inn looks tiny compared to the pictures of it ... did it extend ? Whatyear is yer map please UkeBaby ? (Getting carried away now he he )

The Pack Horse Inn looks tiny compared to the pictures of it ... did it extend ? Whatyear is yer map please UkeBaby ? (Getting carried away now he he )

Oh UkebBabe now. :rolleyes: Go steady on those tablets. It is 1851.

Excellent! I'd never have twigged that the Newhall Tavern would have had its name changed to the Sportsman.

Picture of the Sportsman (derelict) here: https://www.hpacde.o...ield/s18198.jpg

The Skinners were dabblers with a few pubs, confusingly now, two of them being called the Sportsman, one at Bridgehouses and one at Newhall Street.

Trying to keep this in chronological order:

Wm Skinner was in Pigots 1818 directory as a scissorsmith living at Bridgehouses.

In Baines Directory for 1822 his address was clarified as being 2 Chapel Street, Bridgehouses (now Chatham Street). Note that this was a few steps away from the Sportsman (on the station approach at 14 Bridghouses, not Newhall St) see picture of Bridgehouses pub: https://www.hpacde.o...ield/y01865.jpg

In the same Baines 1818 directory his brother John was making scissors at 16 Nursery Walk, a short walk away (see map)

The Bridgehouses Sportsman was being run by John Matthewman in 1822, taken over by Mary Matthewman from 1825.

In Blackwells Directory for 1828 William was now at the Newhall Tavern, brewing, victualling and making scissors - It's likley he was making the scissors on his brother John's premises, now at Stanley Street, rather than in the pub.

In 1829 John (or more likely his son John ) was official Ale-Taster for Brightside.

In March 1830 Grandpa Brown drowned in the gutter outside the Newhall Tavern (to be Sportsman). In September 1830 a new licence was granted for the Newhall Tavern at the Brewster sessions.

In February 1831 William was fined 5s for allowing gambling at the Newhall Tavern (to be Sportsman).

In 1831 John Skinner was living at the Three Cranes in Queen Street, being run by Joseph Skinner. He arranged a dinner at the Three Cranes for his 100 employees to celebrate King William's coronation. Joseph was there in 1834, and in November 1837 when his only son John died aged 30.

In 1832 John's son Ebenezer married Lydia Matthewman and was presumably living at the Bridgehouses Sportsman.

In December 1833 Mary Matthewman (Bridgehouses Sportsman) was in court for serving on a Sunday (got off on a technicality, it was a wake for a deceased local)

By 1837 William had got out of the pub business and was at Local Terrace on Attercliffe Road (Whites Directory). This directory also shows brother John doing well with his range of products, and now also mentions John's son Ebenezer Skinner, a victualler at the Bridgehouses Sportsman.

In 1840 Ebenezers wife Lydia died aged 30. Rodger's Directory listed him still as running the Bridgehouses Sportsman in 1841, but the 1841 census showed him living at Heeley with his mother-in-law Mary Matthewman and her daughter Sarah, his occupation being steel pen maker.

By 1844 the Bridgehouses Sportsman was in the hands of Joshua Jarvis (he subscribed 30s to the Free Trade League).

John's grandson Wilfred (son of George, the John referred to in the article is John's son John) - had a fatal accident in 1852 while grinding - I've added the newspaper cutting as it illustrates the dangers of the grinding trade, they should have got him a little job behind a bar...

On 2nd August 1861 the licence at the Bridgehouses Sportsman was transferred from Joshua Jarvis to Robert Ragge late of Aston. At the same session, the licence of the Three Cranes on Queen St was transferred from Alex Barnes to A Nuttall, late of the Packhorse.

When John died in 1852 his son Ebenezer took over the business, until he died in 1861. Ebenezer was friendly with the Chadburn family who made optical instruments etc at the Shilo Wheel, he died at their house in Pitsmoor. Wright Chadburn was executor to his will, and Ebenezer was put in a Chadburn owned grave. Unfortunately the Stanley Street works was hit by the 1864 Flood and W. Chadburn the executor was left to administer the claim for damage to the Stanley Street building and lots of rusty pen nibs, scissors and knife sharpeners.

On May 12th 1865 the licence of the Sportsman was transferred from Robert Ragge to his widow Mary.

Well done Edmund , I'm glad I didn't post all the Skinners names I found

because you obviously done your own homework and found them out.

Tracing ancesters is very addictive, you find one name then want more

there's no end to it.

A work of outstanding quality, Thank you.

Excellent! I'd never have twigged that the Newhall Tavern would have had its name changed to the Sportsman ...

Guest addy000

While this subjectFREE MOVIES ONLINE

can be very touchyno. 1 matrimonial site in the world

for most people, my opinion is thatjobs in pakistan

there has to be a middle or common ground that weno.1 software house in the world

all can find. I do appreciate Free Legal Advice

that youve added Jobs in Pakistan

relevant and Graphic Designing

intelligentFree articles

commentary herethoughonline classifieds

.Thank you!

Guest addy4040

I just love your blog.NEW TECHNIQUES

Thanks for posting it.online market

i have something that someone comeback againthere is a lot of useful information disease Articles

a person can get from here…I must say,well done.. spoken english

.i visited it daily,what a colourful blog it is.jobs in Saudi Arabia

free legal counselling

...colours attracted me a lot..Russian girls

..i visited it daily,what a colourful blog it is..seo services

.. a very decent and nice blog.prequalification ads

..i like it so very much...