St Mary's Road Area (Near Train Station)

Guest AndreasP

Guest AndreasP

Hi all,

This is my first post so I hope I'm in the correct place. I am an architecture student in the university of sheffield working in a studio project that involves designing a film centre next to Hyper Store in St Marys Road in the area near the train station. I am looking for the historical background of that area and in particular any memories people might have that lived there are what the essence of the place was in the past (was it more industrial? where there many shops? how did it feel like walking by in the past? how do you feel the area has developed now?) Also any personal opinions/memories would be appreciated. Frankly, anything would be good!

Thanks in advance!

A map would be good (anyone please ?), might enable us to work out house numbers and old industries.

What year(s) are you looking for ?

Welcome to the Site, hope we can come up with something.

Guest AndreasP

The Hyper Store is in the corner of St Mary's Road and Matilda Str (S1 4QG). My site is behind that Hyper Store which now is selling furniture. I'm looking about early 20th century, before and after the war. Also how the place felt like in the past and how it feels like now to people that lived /experienced that area.

Thanks for the prompt reply!!! This is a great community over here!

A map would be good (anyone please ?), might enable us to work out house numbers and old industries.

What year(s) are you looking for ?

1903, low numbers west (Bramall Lane) high numbers east (Suffolk Road),

even numbers are on the south side of St. Mary's Rd.

The Hyper Store is in the corner of St Mary's Road and Matilda Str (S1 4QG). My site is behind that Hyper Store which now is selling furniture. I'm looking about early 20th century, before and after the war. Also how the place felt like in the past and how it feels like now to people that lived /experienced that area.

Thanks for the prompt reply!!! This is a great community over here!

Thanks.

I was born a stones throw from your site (in 1954), lived on St. Mary's until 1971,

I don't remember a lot about the area ... except that it was a scruffy place to live lol

Whereabouts is the Hyper Store in St Mary's Road please ?

Nothing comes up in Google search.

Is the "Hyper" Store the old Do-it-All Site, I think laterly it was a cheap furniture place, UNO I think.

I noticed the other day that this building is undergoing a lot of building work.

Ah. The Remar Warehouse is the Hyper Store then

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=sheffield&amp;aq=&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=19.648276,57.084961&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.381129,-1.470085&amp;spn=0.002413,0.006968&amp;t=m&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.374167,-1.465433&amp;panoid=C3WSfGL7UXCFS9kWOjadYA&amp;cbp=12,286.44,,1,0&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=sheffield&amp;aq=&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=19.648276,57.084961&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.381129,-1.470085&amp;spn=0.002413,0.006968&amp;t=m&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.374167,-1.465433&amp;panoid=C3WSfGL7UXCFS9kWOjadYA&amp;cbp=12,286.44,,1,0" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Guest AndreasP

Yes that's the place!

That's very interesting Steve :) So was it considered then a more suburban/industrial area? Do you know what was the effect of the war in the area? (I know that the place was air-bombed but I think it never fully recovered) I found a photograph of the building oposite of my site in 1902. It looks like quite the busy place.

picturesheffield s10678

148 St. Mary's Road, corner of Edmund Road

William Edward Haworth, Grocer and post office, 148 St Marys Road 1911-1925.

More detail of the premises you are looking for please ... still a bit lost.

Yes that's the place!

That's very interesting Steve :) So was it considered then a more suburban/industrial area? Do you know what was the effect of the war in the area? (I know that the place was air-bombed but I think it never fully recovered) I found a photograph of the building oposite of my site in 1902. It looks like quite the busy place.

Haworth 1911

Yes that's the place! That's very interesting Steve :) So was it considered then a more suburban/industrial area? Do you know what was the effect of the war in the area? (I know that the place was air-bombed but I think it never fully recovered) I found a photograph of the building oposite of my site in 1902. It looks like quite the busy place.

Guest AndreasP

The exact location is the Remar Warehouse posted above but I'm interested in the immediate surroundings (St. Mary's Road junction next to the warehouse, the bar oposite the street) and in general the feel of the place back then. The reason I'm looking for how it felt like to live there is because the design project need to consider the history of the place and incorporate that in the thought process, so I'm looking about anything I could use (in terms of restoration or recreation or even more conceptual). I'm still not sure if i'm completely understood but I'm hoping shed some light in what i'm looking for exactly.

Guest AndreasP

Also I've noticed there are a lot of films that contain scenes in Sheffield. I am interested in any film footage that includes St. Mary's Road :) Thanks for all the help!