Old Barracks Nether Hallam 1854

Guest davidsteel

Guest davidsteel

I have found that a relative of mine James Henry Steel son of William and Mary Ann Steel was born in the Old Barracks in 1854. It appears that his father was in York in 1852 (when he was married) So I am trying to find out how he was in Sheffield as a Militia man between the dates of 1852 1857, What regiment he was in and any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Hi David, and welcome to the forum. A slight problem with the topic title and your request. The old barracks ceased to be used in 1849, and were superceded by Hillsborough Barracks. The last regiments at the old barracks were

69th (South Lincolnshire )Foot 1846

36th (Herefordshire) Foot 1846

4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards 1846

89th (Princess Victoria's) Foot 1846

3rd (Prince of Wales) Dragoon Guards 1849

Regiments at Hillsborough Barracks between 1852 and 1857 were

3rd (Prince of Wales) Dragoon Guards 1849 - 1850

2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys) 1854

34th (Cumberland) Foot 1854

98th (Prince of Wales')Foot 1856

4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards 1856 (arrived July on returning from the Crimea)

7th (The Princess Royal's) Dragoon Guards 1857 ( Left for India Sept 1857)

However, after the army left the old barracks, they were bought by two builders, and some of it was later used for housing. So It's possible that James Henry was born after the barracks closed and his parents were living in some of the accommodation, but not associated with the army.

Guest davidsteel

Hi Bayleaf

Thanks for that information , it really is a great help. As you might have gathered I am new to this and I am struggling a bit, however I have managed to get my family tree back to 1760's. The connection with Sheffield is really interesting as the "Steels" appear to have been living in York (although I live in the North East) for over 250 years except for William (dob 1832) who was in York in 1852 then James Henry was born (apparently acording to his birth cert. at The Old Barracks) in 1854. William's occupation was down as a Militia Man, he then has a daughter in 1857 born in Leeds, and a second daughter in 1860 in Barnsley, then ends up back in York in 1861.

My curiousity is why and how he ended up in Shiefield as a Militia man; was he conscripted ; did he volunteer; which regiment was he in etc.etc. I assume I should be able to find "muster" lists for the regiments you have kindly identified?

One final ironic point is, just as I uncovered William, my eldest son accepted a place at Sheffield Hallam Uni. 158 years later.at the place his Great Great Grandfather was born!

Again thanks for your help.

Digging a bit deeper, the old barracks ceased to be used in 1849, the troops moving to the new Hillsbotough Barracks. However, the old barracks weren't finally sold until 1855, so William and his family could well have been housed there because of his occupation.

Perhaps someone else can throw a light on his occupation, as I always believed militia were locally recruited civilian volunteers rather than employed as such?