Backfields

tozzin

Has anybody any history information on this old Lane name? its not for "W.T.E.T." in the Retro its just for me, I can understand its as the name implies it was the Backfields around West St.

There's a Fairbank map of 1771 that shows Coalpit lane (now Cambridge street) as the limit of the buildings of the town. The large area of land behind the buildings is marked 'Back Fields'. presumably the 'Back' referred to the back of these buildings?

I did hear that when the nearby Albert Hall was hosting circus acts, the animals would often be lined up on Backfields waiting their turn.

Guest Lizzyunderhill

Hi, I grew up on Edwin Road until I was about 10 years old. Our back garden lead onto old allotments and fields where we and kids from the area, including the Arborthorne Estate used to play 'Di-allio', which was a sort of mass hide-and-seek on the move. We used to raid their firewood near bonfire night and they used to raid ours too. You could walk along all the way to 'Daisy Fields' which was just off Gleadless Road. We had a whale of a time!

Well,we all called the land 'Backfields'