Murdoch Family

Guest westie

I need help to find my great grandparents details. They lived on Psalter Lane (at the Guilders end) in 1892-3, I am not sure when they got there but both died between 1893-96. David Murdoch survived his wife Ellen (or Helen) by possibly a year, leaving their only child Elfreda Gertrude an orphan aged between 1-3 years old. She was left with the Joby family, who lived nearby and was brought up as another of their family. I know nothing of the Murdochs history, other than Ellen appears to have had quite a bit of money as the only surviving picture we have shows her well dressed with my Grandmother as a baby on her knee, equally well dressed for a baby, wearing boots- even though far too young to walk. Any help appreciated.

Elforda Murdock (as transcribed), no wonder she's difficult to find.

Brain mashed, spent 20 minutes searching 1901 census for people you said had died.

Name: David Murdoch Birth: abt 1828 Death:

Jul 1897 - Ecclesall Bierlow, Yorkshire West Riding

Found this entry in the Death Index for England volume 9C page 289.

Name: Ellen Murdoch Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867 Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1897 Age at Death: 30 Registration district: Ecclesall Bierlow Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding Volume:

9c Page 234

Also dying that same year in Sheffield are Harry aged 28, Eliza aged 4, Lilian 1?, William Ernest 1?, all between Jan to July of 1897?

I need help to find my great grandparents details. They lived on Psalter Lane (at the Guilders end) in 1892-3, I am not sure when they got there but both died between 1893-96. David Murdoch survived his wife Ellen (or Helen) by possibly a year, leaving their only child Elfreda Gertrude an orphan aged between 1-3 years old. She was left with the Joby family, who lived nearby and was brought up as another of their family. I know nothing of the Murdochs history, other than Ellen appears to have had quite a bit of money as the only surviving picture we have shows her well dressed with my Grandmother as a baby on her knee, equally well dressed for a baby, wearing boots- even though far too young to walk. Any help appreciated.

Hi westie

In the 1911 Census Elfreda Gertrude who is now 18 and still single has had a slight change

of name to Elfrida Gertrude Longden Murdick,

obviously partly due to a transcript error but where does the name Longden fit.

Cracking name, well found !

Hi westie

In the 1911 Census Elfreda Gertrude who is now 18 and still single has had a slight change

of name to Elfrida Gertrude Longden Murdick,

obviously partly due to a transcript error but where does the name Longden fit.

New Information.... Yes my Grandmother did have the extra Longden middle name, and I now know her mother was Ellen Owen before her marriage. Thank you to all who have and are helping, much appreciated.

New "facts" emerging- David Murdoch born 1828 had a son David Murdoch born 1863 who married a Mary and produced a daughter Wilhelmina in 1890, they all lived in Ecclesall Bierlow area. Both were Razor Forgers. I wish I knew who was who! In 1891 census Ellen is classed as having Wilhelmina F. Murdoch with her and a boarder George Longden, single, butchers manager, right mother -wrong child- confusion. Can anyone with the ability to check the 1891 census see if the younger Elfreda is noted?

New "facts" emerging- David Murdoch born 1828 had a son David Murdoch born 1863 who married a Mary and produced a daughter Wilhelmina in 1890, they all lived in Ecclesall Bierlow area. Both were Razor Forgers. I wish I knew who was who! In 1891 census Ellen is classed as having Wilhelmina F. Murdoch with her and a boarder George Longden, single, butchers manager, right mother -wrong child- confusion. Can anyone with the ability to check the 1891 census see if the younger Elfreda is noted?

Sadly Elfreda wasn't born until 1893 so the 1891 Census would not be any good..

Ellen is buried in Burngreave Cemetery, according to Sheffield Indexers:

MURDOCH, Ellen (wife of D Murdoch, age 30).

Died at 41 Washington Rd; Buried on February 10, 1897 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 32, Section Y of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: S.

Buried in the same grave, but much later are three people called MITCHELL.

The wording ('wife of D Murdoch') suggests that David was still alive, and I think that is the case, as he married again the following year:

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1898

Murdoch David Sheffield 9c 925

Osguthorpe Mary Ann Sheffield 9c 925

There are several trees on Ancestry with Wilhelmina, some of which show her as the daughter of David and Ellen.

I think the sequence of events is as follows:

- David and Ellen marry in 1889

- Wilhelmina born 14 Jan 1890 (date from Ancestry trees)

- David and Ellen separate, probably before 1891 census.

- 1891 ?David back with his parents, listed as single

Ellen and Wilhelmina together, with George L___ as a boarder.

(note: his name may be Longden, but that is not what is written on the census form - there is no 'g')

- 1892 Elfrida Gertrude born to Ellen + unknown, possibly George LONGDEN

- 1897 Ellen dies

- 1898 David marries Mary Ann

- 1901 David and Mary Ann with Wilhelmina; Gertrude with JOBYs

To confirm this it will be essential to get a birth certificate for Gertrude. I suspect the father's name will not be listed, but that will at least confirm that David was not the father.

Wilhelmina married three times. Her first husband William Henry PAKES died of wounds in 1916. She then married Harry CAUDLE, who died in 1969. She then married Sidney PARKER in 1971. She died in 1984.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh. I have Elfreda's birth certificate, and she is registered as Davids daughter. There she is classed as Elfreda Gertrude, but on a Factory and work act 1901 form she is listed as Elfreda G L Murdoch, she herself never mentioned the L, so all the history of George Longden is all new to us. We are trying to find out more details, but she never mentioned him, as she was brought up by the Joby family. She also never mentioned Wilhelmina, presumably as she didn't remember her as she must have been removed to her fathers household when Elfreda was "adopted" on her Mothers death. My Grandmother died 18.02.79.