Fried Fish Dealer On Loxley Road 1932-1968

Guest tetley

My other half as bought an house on loxley road that was originaly built as a fish and chip shop in the 1930's

and converted to a house in the late 1960's .. I have found the owners name today Albert Yates but I would love

to find more information.. I know he still had it in 1958 but I think he must have died then because the current owner

we bought it from said he bought it in 1963 and it had been shut a while.

dont really know what Im doing tbh ..lol.

How do I go about finding out when this albert passed away or cant I ?

Thanks for reading.

I remember that chippy. At first sight it would seem to be a bit out of the way for clientel, but of course the bottom part of the Wisewood Estate was just around the corner.

From memory it was closed in the late fifties.

Pop into the Local Studies on Surrey Street and have a look at the Kelly's Directories around that date.

HD

P.S. Just had a look on FreeBMD (Births Marriages and Deaths) and a person called Albert Yates died aged 66 between July and September 1956 in Sheffield.

Hello Tetley and Welcome to the Site.

Bit of something for your consideration :

1957 Mrs Annie Williams, fried fish dealer ... (Kelly's Directory)

My other half as bought an house on loxley road that was originaly built as a fish and chip shop in the 1930's

and converted to a house in the late 1960's .. I have found the owners name today Albert Yates but I would love

to find more information.. I know he still had it in 1958 but I think he must have died then because the current owner

we bought it from said he bought it in 1963 and it had been shut a while.

dont really know what Im doing tbh .. lol.

How do I go about finding out when this albert passed away or cant I ?

Thanks for reading.

Older one, just because ...

Herbert Gillam, Fried Fish dealer, 105 Loxley Road, Malin Bridge ... 1911

If it is the same place there must have been a drastic re-numbering because the premises in question are numbered up in the 300's.

Also the premises from memory look to date from the 1930's at the earliest. There doesn't seem to be any numbers around the 150 mark on the 1950's OS maps.

I could be wrong, I usually am, ask the wife.

HD

Edit

Whoops again didn't remember that the OP stated the shop dated from the 1930's. Can I be excused now I'm an OAP ?

Still at least my building dating skills aren't bad.

Goes and hides in cupboard.

HD

All 105 Loxley Road, Malin Bridge, Fried Fish Dealer

Herbert Gillam (1911)

Miss Fanny Chapman (1919)

Arthur Belch (1925)

Older one, just because ...

Herbert Gillam, Fried Fish dealer, 105 Loxley Road, Malin Bridge ... 1911

Get a grip ! he he

If it is the same place there must have been a drastic re-numbering because the premises in question are numbered up in the 300's.

Also the premises from memory look to date from the 1930's at the earliest. There doesn't seem to be any numbers around the 150 mark on the 1950's OS maps.

I could be wrong, I usually am, ask the wife.

HD

Edit

Whoops again didn't remember that the OP stated the shop dated from the 1930's. Can I be excused now I'm an OAP ?

Still at least my building dating skills aren't bad.

Goes and hides in cupboard.

HD

I believe there was a coal merchant by the name of Nicholls next door to that

or maybe next door but one. But it's number I don't know.

I remember that chippy. At first sight it would seem to be a bit out of the way for clientel, but of course the bottom part of the Wisewood Estate was just around the corner.

From memory it was closed in the late fifties.

Pop into the Local Studies on Surrey Street and have a look at the Kelly's Directories around that date.

HD

P.S. Just had a look on FreeBMD (Births Marriages and Deaths) and a person called Albert Yates died aged 66 between July and September 1956 in Sheffield.

Thanks for the welcome and your replies .. I knew Albert had it but didnt know which year he died .. it was still listed as a fried fish dealer in 1958.

1957 Mrs Annie Williams, fried fish dealer ... (Kelly's Directory)

Richard is she listed for the same address 356 ..I was led to believe it was built in 1932 and albert yates had it until the late 50's were it was closed for 4 or 5 years and then reopened

as a chippy in 1963 by the gentleman we have just bought it off until 1969 were it was then converted into a house.

Saying this I cant find any records conecting this gentlemans name to a fried fish shop at this address.

Hilldweller .. I find it really interesting that you remember it .. apparently the shop made a great deal of its profits supply suppers and lunches to local churches.

I would love to find a photograph of this place but have looked on picture sheffield and cant find anything.