Please Help With My 1911 Census Brickwall

saw119

For the life of me I cannot find my family in the 1911 census and they should be there. They are Thomas Woollen (head, b. 1869), Agnes Woollen (wife, b. 1871), George F (son, b. 1890), Bernard Woollen son, b. 1892), Francis (son, b. 1894), Agnes (dau, b. 1896). If anyone can help it would really be useful. I've searched Sheffield and the country using the online searches but no luck. George F, my great Grandfather, is married in Sheffield in 1913 to a Sheffield lass so he must be there surely!

There's a tree on Ancestry for the Woollens. Is this yours? However even if it isn't there is no mention of the 1911 C on it.

Your say George Woollen, born 1869 but I think this should be Charles Woollen according to the other census entries with Agnes, George F, Bernard and Francis.

I did numerous searches for Woollen 1869 and an address search 1911, based on the address in 1901 but couldn't find them or an indication that they might have emigrated for a short term.

Will keep it in mind.

Gill

If at first you don't succeed.................

I've got him lol

I tried a search for Charles on Ancestry, born 1869 in Sheffield and here he is:

I really appreciate that and yes I did make a mistake copying th e

If at first you don't succeed.................

I've got him lol

I tried a search for Charles on Ancestry, born 1869 in Sheffield and here he is:

Yes I did make a mistake with Charles. However, your attatchment did not attach, please try again.

Well, I'm having trouble here but the reason you cannot find him is that he signs his name on the 1911 census as Charles Woollen Gill

Wow, got it now thanks to you and that is just brilliant. What was he doing? One piece of information I can add is that the Woollens had three servants in the 1871 census all called Gill but as to why he would sign himself Gill in 1911 is an outrageous mystery. Oh well, it's something to work on I suppose. I really cannot thank you enough.

1901 Census

Note to self - read the first post, then scroll down instead of spending an hour searching for the wrong person ...

1891 Census

1901 Census

Note to self - read the first post, then scroll down instead of spending an hour searching for the wrong person ...

Ok, well I think I need a bit of time to untangle this. Charles father seems to have been having it away with the servant girl. His wife, Emily Woollen (nee Fitter), is mostly absent from his census returns as well. Jospeh died in 1873 aged 42 according to my research and the kids went with Martha Finney (nee Gill). However, I'm still not sure what happened to Joseph's wife, Emily.

Update: I think Emily died in 1884 aged 52.

Wow! Whilst I've been out exercising the dogs in this very uncharitable weather of about 14° below zero and looking for the cat who I hadn't seen all day and didn't want to leave outside despite his thick coat, you've all been digging up Charles' relations.

Reminds me of the Harry Belafonte song "your Daddy ain't your Daddy but your Daddy don't know!!!

I had thought that Martha Gill was involved somehow and was going to ask you if you had a birth certificate for Charles.

I'm turning in for an early night - see you tomorrow

Gill

Finally found her in 1871, as 'Emma WOOLLLN', as indexed by Ancestry, and that is what it looks like.

The address in Silver Street gives added significance to the following from 5 years earlier (unfortunately difficult to read because of the spine of the volume):

Sheffield and Rotherham Independent Thursday 17 March 1864

At the York Assizes later in March Emily WOOLLEN of Sheffield pleaded guilty to concealment of child-birth and was sentenced to one month's imprisonment (no other details given)

Hugh

from the day before the committal above:

Magistrates Court (Town Hall)

While reading about these personal, but nevertheless harrowing tragedies, I can't help thinking of the catastrophic event that had struck the town only a few days before, and left so many grieving.