Tankard Inn - Ecclesfield

Stuart0742

Received this by email

Hi there,

Just found references to The Tankard Inn in Ecclesfield on your site. The Cooke's were relatives of mine on my Mothers side of the family & the attached photograph comes from one of our family albums. It shows a photograph of the building which must have been taken between 1898 - 1900, from the publicans name on the board over the door. The ladies in the photograph are possibly Mary Cooke, wife of the publican Frances, with two of their daughters, (Elizabeth & Jane ??).

What I can't work out, is all the photographs I have seen of 'The Tankard', show a completely different building, (i.e. as seen on your website). I can only assume that due to the completely tatty state of the place, as seen in this photograph, it must have been demolished when Frances Cooke left the pub around the turn of the century ??

I also attach a copy of the 1881 census, which shows Jane Cooke as publican at The Tankard.

Hope this is of interest.

Mike Osborne

Guest 782sirbrian

I imagine the old pub was demolished to build the Tankard we have today now known as the Stocks pub.

The White Bear opposite is a rebuild of an earlier pub.

I'll see what else I can find about it.

1835 newspaper report has Mary and Richard Senior as Landlady & Landlord of The Tankard. Mary was brewer.

1871 Charles Cooke as landlord his son Joseph Cooke.

1893 John Williams landlord Stocks Hill, Ecclesfield.

1896 Thomas Cooke landlord

1899 Mrs Cooke landlady.

all from the National Newspaper Archive.

Brian

Most interesting, Thank you very much.

Such additions make "the list" more interesting for one and all - its not a bad resource for family history reearchers as it stands and it keeps on getting better.

Received this by email Hi there, Just found references to The Tankard Inn in Ecclesfield on your site. The Cooke's were relatives of mine on my Mothers side of the family & the attached photograph comes from one of our family albums. It shows a photograph of the building which must have been taken between 1898 - 1900, from the publicans name on the board over the door. The ladies in the photograph are possibly Mary Cooke, wife of the publican Frances, with two of their daughters, (Elizabeth & Jane ??). What I can't work out, is all the photographs I have seen of 'The Tankard', show a completely different building, (i.e. as seen on your website). I can only assume that due to the completely tatty state of the place, as seen in this photograph, it must have been demolished when Frances Cooke left the pub around the turn of the century ?? I also attach a copy of the 1881 census, which shows Jane Cooke as publican at The Tankard. Hope this is of interest. Mike Osborne