Here Be Dragons...but Where?

Bayleaf

Dragons in Sheffield, two different buildings

This ugly little fella's got lots of mates around the building, but most have lost their heads.

Dragons in Sheffield, two different buildings

This ugly little fella's got lots of mates around the building, but most have lost their heads.

Is the bottom one St Marie's ?

Out by about half a mile UKL, though I see what you mean, the colour of the brick and the stonework. Not a church building though.

Go west, young woman!

Map request, N, S, E, and W of The Parish Church, I know, just thought it might help.

Out by about half a mile UKL, though I see what you mean, the colour of the brick and the stonework. Not a church building though.

Go west, young woman!

Is it the old Sheffield Water Works Company in Division Street?

Roughly the right direction but some way to go yet!

Here he is with one of his headless friends.

Roughly half a mile west from UKL's first guess.

T'other's about 1.5miles a bit south of west from UKL's guess.

0.5848 miles, to be exact.

;-)

Roughly the right direction but some way to go yet!

Here he is with one of his headless friends.

Now what's that church reflection in the window pane, is it part of the Cathedral?

Now what's that church reflection in the window pane, is it part of the Cathedral?

No, not the cathedral, wrong direction!

St. George's ... sorry, didn't read UKL's last post ...

Is it what's left of Jessops Hospital and the church St Georges?

Spot on UKL, now the Music Dept of Sheffield University. If only they would do a similar restoration job on the other block.

I have to say that ugly little dragons seem to be a strange choice for decoration on a Women's hospital, unless there's some deep superstition involved?

Maybe someone can sort this one. On the front of the building at the top of a drainpipe there's another carving. My eyes and my camera aren't up to making it out for definite. My best guess is a tortoise. Any takers?

Spot on UKL, now the Music Dept of Sheffield University. If only they would do a similar restoration job on the other block.

I have to say that ugly little dragons seem to be a strange choice for decoration on a Women's hospital, unless there's some deep superstition involved?

Maybe someone can sort this one. On the front of the building at the top of a drainpipe there's another carving. My eyes and my camera aren't up to making it out for definite. My best guess is a tortoise. Any takers?

Something that was looking down, looks to have lost its head ?

Or it is a tortoise he he

I've an idea where this is but I don't know about the tortoise :blink:

timestamp='1327952823' post='101771']

They are supposed to ward off evil aren't they .... Gargoyle Etymology & History