St Hilda's Parish Church Threatened By Imminent Demolition

Guest sthildas

Guest sthildas

Hi I am a local resident in Firth Park and I am trying to find out more about the history of St Hildas church in Wincobank. The building is currently threatened by demolition and local residents have set up a campaign to try and develop a proposal for the building to be used for coimmunity use due to its heriatge and local community value. A vast red brick building it stands proud perched on the edge of the hillside overlooking the entire area and is much loved by locals. Does anyone know anything about St Hildas that might help us save it? www.sthildas.webs.com

Good Luck with the petition (which I have signed), time to complain about destruction for destructions sake and the replacement of fine old buildings with "rubbish".

Formed out of portions of the parishes of St. Cuthbert (Fir Vale); St. Thomas' (Wincobank) and St. Thomass# (Brightside) in November 1936.

The site of the church (consecrated 1938) was given by Mr. Bradley Firth, and a sum of £3,000 was presented towards the building by Mrs. Jeffcock, a former resident of Shire House, Lower Shire Green.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £550, with residence, in 1957 by the Rev. Ronald Thomson, B. A., of Leeds Universty.

I lived on Lilac Rd as a child and attended Sunday School there, brownies and guides. It was a large part of my childhood. I married there and had my children baptised there. It would be very sad to see it go. I realise that time marches on and church attendance is not always high on people's lists now but surely it could be left standing but have a change of use for the whole community.

In the 50s there were concerts there by both children and adults and it also had its own band marching around the streets. There were jumble sales, fetes etc. Dances were held in the very large hall downstairs on a Saturday night and on a Tuesday there was also ballroom dancing taught.

Lyn

Guest sthildas

Thank you Richard B and Lyn for your comments which I have added to the website 'what people are saying page'. I have also added the historical information you have been able to give to the 'home page' under 'snippets of relevant history'. I am wondering if Mr Firth gave the land with any conditions attached! That would be wishful thinking.. Sorry about spelling errors in the above post I seem to be doing everything a little too quickly. Anyone wanting to get invoved in anyway with the current plea for St Hilda's would be exceptionally welcome. We have 159 petition signatures (mostly local and not coerced) so plenty of people are not happy about the decision to demolish. It is now a matter of getting this message through to the Local Diocese and The Church Commissioners. The more information and support there is the better our chances. It is wonderful to hear how St Hilda's has been used in the past and certainly these are all things that can be taken into account if the chance for a local proposal is given. HS

My cousin was vicar there until he retired a few years ago.

The only thing I can remember is that there used to be a vicarage.

At some point one of the (relatively) modern houses on near-by Firth Park Cres was used.

As to whether the original vicarage was on the same site as the 70's one I can't remember.

Seems a bit far away if it was.

Here

Thank you Richard B and Lyn for your comments which I have added to the website 'what people are saying page'. I have also added the historical information you have been able to give to the 'home page' under 'snippets of relevant history'. I am wondering if Mr Firth gave the land with any conditions attached! That would be wishful thinking.. Sorry about spelling errors in the above post I seem to be doing everything a little too quickly. Anyone wanting to get invoved in anyway with the current plea for St Hilda's would be exceptionally welcome. We have 159 petition signatures (mostly local and not coerced) so plenty of people are not happy about the decision to demolish. It is now a matter of getting this message through to the Local Diocese and The Church Commissioners. The more information and support there is the better our chances. It is wonderful to hear how St Hilda's has been used in the past and certainly these are all things that can be taken into account if the chance for a local proposal is given. HS

There are ways of putting petitions online - why not get someone to do that and boost your support! I'd sign and am sure lots on here would?

Guest sthildas

There are ways of putting petitions online - why not get someone to do that and boost your support! I'd sign and am sure lots on here would?

Hi there there is a petition online - if you go to the st hildas website www.sthildas.webs.com there is a link. We have about 94 online signatures and 140 on paper. many thanks HS

Guest sthildas

Hi

We have received almost 250 signatures on the petition (http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-st-hildas.html - mostly local) to 'SAVE St Hildas' from demolition in order to find an alternative use. That is since the 4th January when the website was set up (www.sthildas.webs.com). We have now established that there are a huge number off people who feel something for this building and that feel it is a valued part of the community and our heritage.

Now in order to TO 'SAVE ST HILDA’S' WE MUST FIND A USE FOR IT!

It could be a Social / Community Enterprise owned and run by the community and in this case any number of options are possible. So I am writing to ask if anyone might be able to consider getting more involved and join ‘Save St Hilda’s’ - a community group that we have now set up in order to help develop a proposal.

There is already some interest from local groups and individuals to use the building including 2 church groups, a private company for storage, a sports group, a local art group, a local gallery and also a private individual has shown interest in redevelopment of the building into residential accommodation. This is all great but to move forward we need more people to get involved to help pull it all together.

We already have considerable support from heritage organisations and others who could help us to buy, repair and use the building.

YOU CAN REALLY HELP!

Joining the Group would be a great help in itself and we especially need support with with legal matters / property services / planning / funding / press and pr / architectural and structural advice and to do an audit of local needs.

In the current climate where many jobs are not safe - there is even better reason to get involved in a sustainable local community enterprise that could be run by members of our community and could provide local employment and help generate something fantastic for the entire area. We don't get the chance to make change to the big-wide-world that often but there is a chance to make a change right here on your doorstep.

Please consider whether you might be able to help.

with kind regards HS on behalf of 'Save St Hilda's'

Guest Trefcon

If saved maybe you could petition to get this put back in its original home ?

Its currently at Firth Park Methodist Church.