Transcription Help Please

Here's a letter of character, incomplete unfortunately and in very poor condition, written by my Grandad's CO in 1919

It is a scan of an old B&W photocopy from the time when that was the only option.

I have 99% of it done, but one or two bits are puzzling.

I'll just post the images, before my transcription, in order to get fresh ideas.

-------------------------

This the typewritten letter kept with his MM.

Help with the line obscured by the fold please, and also, any idea of the signature.

The bit on the fold says: "He consistently exhibits a high degree of courage and energy."

The signature looks like "J.F. Farmer", but it's hard to say with any certainty.

Pr Hinkler has been in my Brigade since he came to France in May 1916 (?). He was started as a Brigade runner and all through the fighting at Ypres ???????? He carried messages to the front lines. He did exceedingly good & gallant work and was awarded the Military Medal on my recommendation for a particular act of gallantry under heavy fire. If he had so wished he could have been a N.C.O and in my opinion has the necessary qualifications for command. For the last year he has been my personal

also

Here's a letter of character, incomplete unfortunately and in very poor condition, written by my Grandad's CO in 1919 It is a scan of an old B&W photocopy from the time when that was the only option. I have 99% of it done, but one or two bits are puzzling. I'll just post the images, before my transcription, in order to get fresh ideas. ------------------------- This the typewritten letter kept with his MM. Help with the line obscured by the fold please, and also, any idea of the signature.

And I hope this testimonial may be of help to him in finding employment and to the ???? Soldier (?) ??? Has served his country in a gallant and unselfish manner.

H. Gordon

Brig. General

???? 31st Infantry (?) Brigade

Cairo

Here's a letter of character, incomplete unfortunately and in very poor condition, written by my Grandad's CO in 1919 It is a scan of an old B&W photocopy from the time when that was the only option. I have 99% of it done, but one or two bits are puzzling. I'll just post the images, before my transcription, in order to get fresh ideas. ------------------------- This the typewritten letter kept with his MM. Help with the line obscured by the fold please, and also, any idea of the signature.

I'm not ignoring this, just got other things going on.

Thanks for your help, which sort of bears out what I was thinking.

I recon you've sorted the bit on the fold Beery, thanks.

What do you think of "all through the fighting at Ypres Passchendaele" as a possibility Richard.

It doesn't fit exactly but he could have slightly miss-spelled.

The battle, I found out, is officially known as the Third Battle of Ypres (Passchendaele)

------------------

Cairo seems likely Richard as there is a photo of him in khaki drill and pith helmet.

I'll do some more on it later.

Thanks again

<blockquote>

<div>

<p>&quot;When you go over the top you can slope arms, light up your pipes and cigarettes, and march all the way to Pozieres before meeting any live Germans&quot;.</p>

</div>

<p> </p>

<p>Brigadier General H Gordon</p>

</blockquote>

<p> </p>

<p><a href="http://www.theculturalexperience.com/battlefield_tours/the_western_front.php">http://www.theculturalexperience.com/battlefield_tours/the_western_front.php</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>

And I hope this testimonial may be of help to him in finding employment and to the ???? Soldier (?) ??? Has served his country in a gallant and unselfish manner. H. Gordon Brig. General   ???? 31st Infantry (?) Brigade Cairo 4.8.19
</p>

Brig. Gen. H. Gordon C.B. D.S.O.

And I hope this testimonial may be of help to him in finding employment and to the ???? Soldier (?) ??? Has served his country in a gallant and unselfish manner.

H. Gordon

Brig. General

???? 31st Infantry (?) Brigade

Cairo