How Did Buildings Get Their Names ?

rob123

Cornish Place is on Cornish Street, which predates the works, so it's probably the source of the name. In its turn Cornish street may have taken its name from the Cornish Inn which stood there in the early 19th Century. Can't help with Portland Works though.

Portland Works was designed by J H Jenkinson for R F Mosley, cutlery manufacturer, and built in 1877.Did R F Mosley have any connection to Portland I wonder?

William Henry Cavendish Bentinck, Duke of Portland, Prime Minister 1783, Home Secretary 1794-1801, Prime Minister again 1807-1809

Who said The Link Fairie was dead ? Not me !

see also Portland Place, London (built 1770's)

Why is Portland Works so called, and come to think of it, why Cornish Place ?

But would a building be named after a non-descript PM 68 years after his death ? Is there any connection perhaps with his wife, Lady cavendish ?

But would a building be named after a non-descript PM 68 years after his death ? Is there any connection perhaps with his wife, Lady cavendish ?

Interesting thought rob, perhaps through the owner of the land it's built on? Her brother was William, 5th Duke of Devonshire.

Then my post #7 might have been a useful pointer along the way.

If all we know is "Portland" then anything needs considering.

That could be it.

Robert Fead MOSLEY brought the name of the Portland Works to Randall Street from his old premises at 188 West Street:

But I don't think he was the originator of the name. The Works in West Street already had the name in 1841, the year of his birth in London:

Sanderson, Jno. (~, Mfr. of Saws, Doctors, Busks & C).

Residing at Portland Works, 188 West Street, in 1841.

Recorded in: Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheff & Roth Directory - 1841.

[from Sheffield Indexers]

According to Geoffrey Tweedale's "The Sheffield Knife Book" the firm of RF Mosley and co (cutlery manufacturers) have a special place in the history of the trade because it was to them that Harry Brearley turned for assistance in 1914 to make a trial forging of blades in his new rustless material, stainless steel.

Hugh

Quality post as always Hugh.

Robert Fead MOSLEY brought the name of the Portland Works to Randall Street from his old premises at 188 West Street:

But I don't think he was the originator of the name. The Works in West Street already had the name in 1841, the year of his birth in London:

Sanderson, Jno. (~, Mfr. of Saws, Doctors, Busks & C).

Residing at Portland Works, 188 West Street, in 1841.

Recorded in: Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheff & Roth Directory - 1841.

[from Sheffield Indexers]

According to Geoffrey Tweedale's "The Sheffield Knife Book" the firm of RF Mosley and co (cutlery manufacturers) have a special place in the history of the trade because it was to them that Harry Brearley turned for assistance in 1914 to make a trial forging of blades in his new rustless material, stainless steel.

Hugh