Unidentified Pub

tozzin

Having attended the launch of the RETRO book at the Town Hall along with Ron Clayton, a lady brought this picture in asking if we knew where it was taken. Her Father is on the photo but she was asking as to where was the pub in the background named GUN INN and it sold SHAWS ALES, the lady thought it may have been down Attercliffe. I cannot find any referance to it in my pub books, so can anyone shed some light on this pub.

It looks very much like the Gun Inn at Hollingsworth to me: good shout, RIchardB

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=hollingworth&amp;aq=&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=16.083662,33.881836&amp;vpsrc=6&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Hollingworth,+Rochdale,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.631564,-2.106739&amp;spn=0.031581,0.066175&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.46084,-1.996321&amp;panoid=ODU1XNsA01fe6ygYXDGNrQ&amp;cbp=13,57.87,,0,9.86&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=hollingworth&amp;aq=&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=16.083662,33.881836&amp;vpsrc=6&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Hollingworth,+Rochdale,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.631564,-2.106739&amp;spn=0.031581,0.066175&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.46084,-1.996321&amp;panoid=ODU1XNsA01fe6ygYXDGNrQ&amp;cbp=13,57.87,,0,9.86" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Given that I've never heard of Hollingsworth it wasn't a bad stab in the dark.

It looks very much like the Gun Inn at Hollingsworth to me: good shout, RIchardB

Given that I've never heard of Hollingsworth it wasn't a bad stab in the dark.

I've spent too long sitting in traffic queues at that junction over the years, both when taking the coach to and from Salford University and driving to and from Warrington when I lived there.

I hope Rons "client" is impressed with me identifying a pub I've never heard of from a place I've never heard of.

Google "gun hotel" + sheffield

I've spent too long sitting in traffic queues at that junction over the years,

I think most people in Sheffield have travelled that road and sat at that junction at one time or another on the way to Manchester and beyond . In the early 50s we would stop at the Gun Inn on the way back from Belle Vue zoo. The United Motor Services coach in the photo is worth a mention as it looks like it could have been built by Cravens in Sheffield. The history of Sheffield's early years of coaching is well worth swotting up on as it makes deregulation in 1986 look like a birthday party. W/E.

Males, females, old and young.

Some button-holes in evidence; some rosettes e.g. Mr Stripy-Jumper - does this suggest the return leg of the trip - having been to some show/competition ?

Is the backside of the vehicle on the right likely to be another one like the one at the rear, centre of the shot ?

Some smashing hats ...

That's a funny photograph - when it is blown up some of the people look as they they have been superimposed on the background like the Sgt Peppers album sleeve. People at each side are quite blurry - is it some effect of digital enghancement ? Maybe that's just me?

I hope Rons "client" is impressed with me identifying a pub I've never heard of from a place I've never heard of.

Google "gun hotel" + sheffield

I will e-mail Ron with the brilliant answer that the person who is THE SHEFFIELD HISTORY TEAM came up with, I am always amazed at the knowledge of people on this Forum

Having attended the launch of the RETRO book at the Town Hall along with Ron Clayton, a lady brought this picture in asking if we knew where it was taken. Her Father is on the photo but she was asking as to where was the pub in the background named GUN INN and it sold SHAWS ALES, the lady thought it may have been down Attercliffe. I cannot find any referance to it in my pub books, so can anyone shed some light on this pub.

I count 100 People in that Photo could it be the annual outing of the Hundred Club or how many can we get in a Mini Bus ?