Broomhall Flats Landings

saw119

Inspired by Dave H and his thread on Park Hill I was wondering if the same thing could be done on Broomhall flats? I spent quite a lot of time there in the early 80's until they were demolished as my Grandparents lived in one of the maisonettes and I spent weekends there with my Father. I seem to remember that the landings had names like Trafalgar or Nelson or something.

I think they were all named for the streets which were demolished or partly demolished when the flats were built.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember these few :

Headford

High Headford

Milton

Egerton.

Wellington

Monmouth

High Peter (Was that one ?)

Variously called High, Row or Gardens I think, depending on which level they were.

Brain is away with the mixer; can't even place the flats !

However, Headford Street between 149 Broomhall Street and 151

Monmouth Street between 116 and 118 also Cavendish Street, Broomspring Lane and Monmouth Lane all situated between 88 and 114.

- all 1957

I think they were all named for the streets which were demolished or partly demolished when the flats were built.

Headford

High Headford

Milton

Egerton.

Wellington

Monmouth

Variously called High, Row or Gardens I think, depending on which level they were.

Headford

High Headford

Milton

Egerton.

Wellington

Monmouth

None of them were called Peter but there was also a Cavendish (& High Cavendish) situated to the left of the row of shops and at right angles to them (the end of the Cavendish block faced Headford Street).

None of them were called Peter but there was also a Cavendish (& High Cavendish) situated to the left of the row of shops and at right angles to them (the end of the Cavendish block faced Headford Street).

Well there was a High Peter (maybe Petre) in some flats somewhere. I wonder which flats it was then. :blink:

Somebody will know. :) Watch this space.

"I also lived on Broomhall Flats

Egerton Gardens!"

From SheffieldForum

That is a quotation - I, personally, never lived there.

Another one named after a street.

Well there was a High Peter (maybe Petre) in some flats somewhere. I wonder which flats it was then. :blink:

Somebody will know. :) Watch this space.

Plain talker is the one most likely to know that one vox.

I have no idea where but now you mention it the name sounds sort of familiar.

Headford

High Headford

Milton

Egerton.

Wellington

Monmouth

I had an uncle who lived on Headford Row in the 1970's.

Seem to remember the flats suffered badly from damp and blackmould.

Probably something to do with their precast concrete prefabricated sections used in their construction.

These are the flats that had the terrible accident while being built.

They consisted of concrete slabs that one day fell like dominos crushing

some of the workers. The flats had faults from day one that is why they didn't

last long with the condensation , damp and mould.

I remember that people kept moving the MASSIVE bins that waited at the bottom of the rubbish chutes so that the rubbish simply landed on the ground and piled up. The lifts raely worked and smelled of wee wee, the central garden area was shocking and it was just generally dirty.

Nope, still can't place 'em http://www.redbubble...ats-sheffield-3

I wouldn't call those flats Broomhall flats. They are the flats that are off Hanover Way and Ecclesall Road. To me the Broonhall flats will always be those that were opposite The Washington Pub.

I did say in post 3 I couldn't place 'em - my apologies for any confusion caused.

I remember that people kept moving the MASSIVE bins that waited at the bottom of the rubbish chutes so that the rubbish simply landed on the ground and piled up. The lifts raely worked and smelled of wee wee, the central garden area was shocking and it was just generally dirty.

I wouldn't call those flats Broomhall flats. They are the flats that are off Hanover Way and Ecclesall Road. To me the Broonhall flats will always be those that were opposite The Washington Pub.

These are the flats that had the terrible accident while being built.

They consisted of concrete slabs that one day fell like dominos crushing

some of the workers. The flats had faults from day one that is why they didn't

last long with the condensation , damp and mould.

Yes there was accidents while these flats were being built and it was down to the prefabricated concrete sections used.

Guest plain talker

Plain talker is the one most likely to know that one vox.

I have no idea where but now you mention it the name sounds sort of familiar.

*chuckles to herself*

love the vote of confidence in me, daveH :)

I'm less familiar with Broomhall flats than I am with Kelvin, Hyde Park, and Park Hill. but I'll willingly contribute what I do know.

Right:-

I do remember the rows that were called Egerton, Monmouth, Headford, and Victoria, I also think there may have been a "Gell" and "FitzWilliam", I'm reasonably sure there was also a "Cavendish", but I could be wrong.

It's correct that there were three levels to the blocks, "........ Gardens" (Ground level) ".......... Row" (Central level) and "High......." (Top level. (like Park Hill they definitely had a couple of levels to each row, possibly three)

Each block had its own name, (as above) with the individual levels being designated "Gardens", "Row", and "High". It wasn't like Hyde Park etc where the row's name went all the way through the blocks.

I remember at the top, on FitzWilliam Street, opposite where Viners was (now West one) there was a set of wooden benches that were carved and laid out like the flats, with the names of each block carved onto the seat.

The blocks looked like the London block of flats used in the Channel four "Ident" advertisement, where the camera moves perspective, and as the camera moves, the building creates the shape of the figure 4. (But looked shabbier)

The construction was extremely poor. As others have said, it was prefabricated slabs, and like so many buildings of that design, the build was "skimped on) hence the scandals about the falling blocks of masonry. the blocks should have been bolted together with X number of bolts, to make sure the integrity and strength of the building was preserved.

The flats were horrendously damp, and the underfloor heating was inadequate, and obscenely expensive to run. My ex lived on there from about 1975 to 1984, and he tells of a £400.00 bill for a SUMMER ( :wacko: !!!! :angry: ) quarter in about 1982(so I'm talking thirty years ago, when £400 was a significant amount)

Not sounding like a great place then ...

Compared to the Norfolk Park tower blocks and the Park Hill / Hyde Park complexes that would be a fair conclusion Richard.