The Oaklands- 42(44,46)Collegiate Crescent

Guest Petra Schwarcz

Guest Petra Schwarcz

Hello,

I am doing some research on the Oaklands building at Collegiate Crescent. So far I have found out about 2 families who lived there: the family of William Fernell who built it in 1849, and lived there until 1879, and the family of Sir William Leng (founder and editor of the Sheffield Daily Telegraph) 1880-1902). I would like to have more information about who lived there after Leng's family (although I have a feeling it was used as a school) and also to find out more about the previously mentioned families. Would it be possible to trace their inheritants maybe? Or I am asking too much?

Also it would be useful for me to know what significance this building had and how important it was to the area. So basically information on Collegiate Crescent as the whole would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Petra

Guest Petra Schwarcz

Sorry, I forgot to add, that while researching, Oaklands was at 42,44 and 46 Collegiate Crescent. So it was possibly renumbered.

William Burgoyne Fernell, Solicitor of Vicar Lane; previous residence Highfields (1837, 1841)

listed as Oaklands, Broomhall Road, in 1852.

... the family of William Fernell who built it in 1849, and lived there until 1879 ...

Mrs Alice Hall, Oaklands, Collegiate Cescent (1905)

Mrs HF Hall, 42 Collegiate Crescent (1911)

.... I would like to have more information about who lived there after Leng's family (although I have a feeling it was used as a school) ...

1851 William Burgoyne Fernell (though transcribed as Farnell), Attorney and Solicitor, wife Charlotte, daughter Charlotte

tough read, so :

Wm Burgoyne Farnell 34

Charlotte Farnell 34

Harry Rose Tader Farnell 5

Charlotte Burgoyne Farnell 3

Wm Burgoyne Farnell 1

Letitia Mellace 56

Mary Ann Stevens 26

Ann Amelia Thompson 26

Ann Bower 32

Mother and William (1841)

Can't find him in 1861 ..

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:Ecclesall_Bierlow_Registration_District,_1861_Census_Street_Index_M-O.

Guest Petra Schwarcz

Wow, that was quick. Thank you. I have looked to Census documents already tho. Yes, I have noticed the name was Fernell or Farnell or Fornell. Strange.

Hopefully someone may find something else - newspaper articles maybe, here's hoping.

Wow, that was quick. Thank you. I have looked to Census documents already tho. Yes, I have noticed the name was Fernell or Farnell or Fornell. Strange.

Guest Petra Schwarcz

I found loads about Sir William Leng - regarding his work at Sheffield Telegraph. I'm struggling to find out more about Fernells. Or building itself. My research should focus on morphological development of the site, architectural style and such. But people involved with the history of the building are also important.

Then let us appeal for any maps of the area - covering a range of years.

Come on Map-Folks please.

I found loads about Sir William Leng - regarding his work at Sheffield Telegraph. I'm struggling to find out more about Fernells. Or building itself. My research should focus on morphological development of the site, architectural style and such. But people involved with the history of the building are also important.

University refurbishment handed over

Refurbishment of Sheffield Hallam University’s Oaklands building has been completed. The project has provided a full refurbishment of the building to provide new teaching spaces and improved access and facilities. The work was carried out on a design and build basis by main contractor Illingworth & Gregory, with Gelder Harvey Architects working alongside. Race Cottam provided the university’s initial architectural employers requirements.

The Oaklands project is Gelder Harvey Architects’ fourth appointment on Sheffield Hallam University projects, working with Illingworth & Gregory. Work is also currently on site at the Adsetts Centre (the second phase of work there) and the Collegiate Crescent Learning Centre.

http://gelderharveyblog.wordpress.com/ <- ask them if they have more information.

Guest Petra Schwarcz

great, thanks. Also would you know where I could find pictures of this area (house)? Historical would be most appreciated. I have only one so far, from 1902.

Guest Petra Schwarcz

Thanks for Gelder Harvey Architects info. I already emailed them. Hopefully, they will be able to give me more information about the building. :rolleyes:

Earl, H. H.42 Collegiate Crescent, Sheffield, South Yorkshire.

No idea what the website means, try yourself http://batchgeo.com/map/813542be1b54fdefa89085fc136fa00f