Bit O' Help

RichardS

I'm glad I'm not a transcriber.

I can't read any of them.

Why did they get people to fill out important documents like this that had such poor handwriting?

Forms these days have things like "Use only black ink", "Write in block capitals" and "keep within the lines, one character per box"

Although forms like this area bit of a hassle at least I can see why they are being used.

Agree, except, there's no x on the end.

Also you can see from the 'e' in Nether Edge that he doesn't form that letter properly, so the letter after the 'l' could be an undotted i or an e.

So I'm suggesting the following possibilities: Molineau or Moleneau

Are you sure that the first letter is an M? To me it looks and awful lot like an H. What is the first letter on the road above the one in dispute? The best way Ive found to handle these things is to compare letter forms from one word to another, find a word that you can read with the same letter forms, or at least some, and then simply work it out.

Are you sure that the first letter is an M? To me it looks and awful lot like an H. What is the first letter on the road above the one in dispute? The best way Ive found to handle these things is to compare letter forms from one word to another, find a word that you can read with the same letter forms, or at least some, and then simply work it out.

The one above looks like 'Nether Edge Road' to me.

The one above is certainly an N as Steve says. An M is an N with an extra bit on rhe end, so handwritten they usually start the same. If it were and N or H, what would the next character be? It would be similar to an e as written above, but the letter combination of the first part of the word would be unusual to say the least.

As Thylacine says there's a missing 'x' at the end, but that could just be an accidental omission or a mis-spelling.

To be honest I didn't actually think it was an H myself. It was more a strategy to look at the words and hopefully forget what subconsciously you've already decided it is. It has to be Molineaux though I would say. It could be simply a misspelling. Not everyone can spell Molineaux you know!

To be honest I didn't actually think it was an H myself. It was more a strategy to look at the words and hopefully forget what subconsciously you've already decided it is. It has to be Molineaux though I would say. It could be simply a misspelling. Not everyone can spell Molineaux you know!

Sorry saw119, I wasn't disagreeing with your suggested strategy, which is sound sense!

From the top:

City G Hosp.

Nether Edge Hosp.

Molineau Rd.

Lodge Moor Hosp.

That's exactly what I thought as well. I have been researching my family tree and have found lots of spelling mistakes on the census forms. I think that's why some sites have soundex not necessarily the correct spelling just more or less as it sounds.

I think Molly Knew how to though. :)

I thought it was the football ground of Wolverhampton Wanderers rather than a street in Sheffield.

..and I still struggle to read it from the document in the initial post.

Its actually 69 Molineaux Rd which is off Elm Lane near Sheffield Lane Top.

Been transcribing for about 7 years on & off & can recommend it to anyone who is interested in family history. The data provided is invaluable. Sheffield is so lucky to have Sheffield Indexers who have done this work for years. I know of no other town/city that provides such extensive info for free.