Ball 26 Talbot Place

RichardS

An ancestor, Miles Heap, who was rather prolific with pubs turns up on the 1871 at 26 Talbot Place as 'publican'

I'm wondering if it could be this one from the index:

Ball/Old Ball

31 Duke Street, Park

Open 1822 or earlier, Closed 1900 Span 78

Comments Old Ball in 1861

As last known keeper we have:

1871 John Dale

But I can't place him on the 1871, I think they may be one and the same place because of the 1925 Kellys entry for the address:

(Talbot Place)

26 Ball Leanard Chisholm

28 Quibell Bernard Vincent, clerk

30 Poiner Jn.Wm.electric surve or

30 Poiner Miss Ethel R. teacler

of music

32 Pigott Joseph silver finisher

34 Freeman ~ i l i i a m

36 Berry Alfred, silver finisher

38 Earnshaw Mrs. Fanny C.M.B.

midwife

40 Arber John Walton. electrician

42 Kag Ernest, ( j ) blacksmith

............... Duke street ...............

Thoughts anyone?

P.S he also wants adding to the index at the Newhall Hotel/Tavern for 1881.

An ancestor, Miles Heap, who was rather prolific with pubs turns up on the 1871 at 26 Talbot Place as 'publican'

Ball/Old Ball

31 Duke Street, Park

1871 John Dale

But I can't place him on the 1871, I think they may be one and the same place because of the 1925 Kellys entry for the address:

(Talbot Place)

26 Ball Leanard Chisholm

of music

34 Freeman ~ i l i i a m

midwife

Thoughts anyone?

I think I must be missing something here, yes we have a John Dale 1871 at the Ball on Duke Street but if

it is the same one as Talbot Place then we have two keepers [ This is where syrup gets involved :) ]

Maybe it's just a beerhouse of the same name.

Is it possible for you to post us the Newhall Tavern 1881 census please.

Ball/Old Ball

31 Duke Street, Park

1871 John Dale

(Talbot Place)

26 Ball Leanard Chisholm

of music

34 Freeman ~ i l i i a m

midwife

Thoughts anyone?

Not sure of your question Richard,

26 Talbot Place, Ball Leanard Chisholm

Isn't Ball his surname, and not the name of a pub ?

:wacko: oops, yep that looks like the case.

I'd still like to know if, as appears on the 1871, 26 Talbot Place was a pub/beerhouse or just his home address.

Newhall Hotel Nelson st 1881:

Could we have the wrong address for the Newhall Hotel? But then again Brightside Lane and

Sanderson Street are both given as address in the Directories.

Any ideas where Nelson Street was, the only one that I can find is Rotherham.

Guest binsted71

Could we have the wrong address for the Newhall Hotel? But then again Brightside Lane and

Nelson Street was in the Paget Street area of Newhall Road, Brightside.

An ancestor, Miles Heap, who was rather prolific with pubs turns up on the 1871 at 26 Talbot Place as 'publican' I'm wondering if it could be this one from the index: Ball/Old Ball 31 Duke Street, Park Open 1822 or earlier, Closed 1900 Span 78 Comments Old Ball in 1861 As last known keeper we have: 1871 John Dale But I can't place him on the 1871, I think they may be one and the same place because of the 1925 Kellys entry for the address: (Talbot Place) 26 Ball Leanard Chisholm 28 Quibell Bernard Vincent, clerk 30 Poiner Jn.Wm.electric surve or 30 Poiner Miss Ethel R. teacler of music 32 Pigott Joseph silver finisher 34 Freeman ~ i l i i a m 36 Berry Alfred, silver finisher 38 Earnshaw Mrs. Fanny C.M.B. midwife 40 Arber John Walton. electrician 42 Kag Ernest, ( j ) blacksmith ............... Duke street ............... Thoughts anyone? P.S he also wants adding to the index at the Newhall Hotel/Tavern for 1881.

Miles Heap 1868.

Miles Heap 1872.

There seems to be some confusion around the New Hall Hotel and the New Hall Tavern.

The Hotel was, I think, the old New Hall (built by John Fell and later occupied by Swallow who built the bridge over the Don). It was set in large gardens which were used for holiday festivals, and the Hotel was very luxurious which makes me think that it would have been the old Hall. In 1843 the area around New Hall was all fields, and New Hall Road was the track to the hall with a lodge at the bottom (see map). By 1893 the Hall/Hotel appear to have been cleared and by 1905 a Newhall County school has been built on the site.

The link below shows W.Skinner as being landlord at the Hotel in 1833, which is incorrect.

In fact William Skinner was at the Newhall Tavern, which was at 7 Newhall Street, in Sheffield centre, and which became part of Snig Hill. He was a Victualler, Brewer and Scissors Manufacturer (all at the same time). By 1841 he had moved to Burton Head (a long row of terraced housing on Tinsley/Attercliffe Road, near the junction with Saville Street). I think that by 1841 the Tavern had gone as Newhall Street had seen a lot of building clearance as there were many old timber frame buildings in the area, and some big new public houses were built (see photos on Sheffield Council site).

William was one of my ancestors and (I think) was the brother of John Skinner of steel pen nib fame, who operated from the White House 69 Stanley Street, Wicker. William's claim to fame was scrumbling combs for painters.

Thanks for clearing that one up for us Edmund, if you have anymore information

on this subject please let us have it.

I had to smile when you brought up the " scrumbling combs" it's been a long time

since I saw one of those?

Scrumbling combs ??

I had to smile when you brought up the " scrumbling combs" it's been a long time

Thanks for clearing that one up for us Edmund, if you have anymore information

on this subject please let us have it.

Me as well, i've got some chucking about somewhere in the depths of my shed.

It's important that newMembers know the sitation here.

I've been on this subject for years, Ukelele Lady is now the person in control of the Pubs data.

What we have is what we believe to be the truth, any updates are most welcome.

If you can untangle any of the Pub mysteries, or provide evidence which contradicts our current findings then we will consider your evidence and update as appropriate.

Any/all evidence appreciated, certificates, letters, pictures, newspaper articles, bankruptcy proceedings, family stories etc etc

DaveH may appreciate the scietific approach to this research - this is what we think we have, we invite your constructive critisism.

Cut and thrust of the 19th century scrumbling comb business!

Scrumbling = fake wood grain

They did make a come back in the 1960s.

Here's the proceedings of the original application for converting the New Hall, Brightside into the New Hall Hotel and Pleasure Grounds from August 1854.

Their Gala held in June 1855 seemed to be a commercial success despite the technical problems with a balloon ascent and the glossed over issues with broken gas pipes.

The Gardens were still putting on top class entertainment in 1862 when Blondin performed.

The proprietor Mr Copley was the only licensed Pyrotechnist in Sheffield, and was advertising to provide his "illuminations, fireworks, transparencies and devices" for celebrations of the Prince of Wales wedding in 1863. I think its easy for us to concentrate on how grim life was then, and forget that they could enjoy themselves in a big way on occasions.

Guest addy000

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this,FREE MOVIES ONLINE

I feel strongly about it and classifieds online

ove learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise,Health articles

would you mind spoken english

updating yourcareer opportunities

blog with moreFree legal Services

information?best seo provider

It is extremely admission ads

beautiful girlshelpful for me.