Picture Sheffield - Incorrect Location?

mike142sl

I've been surfing about on the picture sheffield site for some images of Redmires as I'm up on the moors showing the scouts some of the trenches etc later tonight ahead of Remembrance Sunday activities.

I came across several pictures reportedly of a burnt out shed on Redmires Camp. However it is clearly a shot of a shed that was part of the old Hospital at the end of Crimicar La as I can make out various other clues in the background such as the other hospital, Lodge Moor Rd, and the conduit as it crosses Blackbrook Rd.

The pic is s21093 through to s21100, see what you think.

I was under the impression that the redmires Camp was opposite the Three Merry Lads, was there another one where the hospital stood?

===============================

Edit; two links added.

s21093

s21100

There were 2 camps. The WW1 camp was more or less where the Travellers' site now stands. The plantation is on the site of the WW2 PoW camp, which was on the site of the WW1 camp's parade ground. It isn't unusual for Picture Sheffield captions to get it wrong!

The WW1 camp was used for a time in the 20's as an isolation hospital.

Thanks for pointing this out. Got my old maps out and I can pin-point the site of our home precisely on the first photo. Another shows the dip in the field by Redmires Road which was filled in and forms the grassed area in front of the Lodge Moor shop parade.

HD