Ecclesall Bierlow Register Office

Guest colin17

Guest colin17

A relative married at this Register Office in 1880. Can anyone help me with where it was located and whether the building still exists - alternatively where I might find an archive photo of it ?

More Register Office information, for consideration/additions/corrections etc :

William Heald Auctioneer, Appraiser, House Agent, Collector of Debts and Register Office 60 Campo Lane Baine's 1822

William Heald Auctioneer, Appraiser, House Agent, Collector of Debts and Register Office 57 Campo Lane Gell's 1825

John Innocent Bookseller, Stationer, Binder & General Register Office 54 Campo Lane White's 1833

Ebenezer Jubb Bookseller and Register Office 81 South Street White's 1833

George Rogers Register Office, Sworn Appraiser & Valuer & Collector of Rents &c. 28 Angel Row, head of South Street White's 1833

John Innocent Bookseller, Binder & Register Office 7 Campo Lane White's 1849

John Innocent Bookseller, Stationer & Register Office 7 Campo Lane White's 1852

Horace Scargill Register Clerk, Duke of Norfolk's Estate Office Corn Exchange Kelly's 1893

Horace Scargill Register Clerk, Duke of Norfolk's Estate Office Corn Exchange buildings. h. 26 Crescent Road White's 1911

Guest colin17

Thanks Richard, the 26 Crescent Road address is in the right area. It still exists and is a private house and was probably the home of the Register Clerk Horace Scargill. But where was the Register Office at which he worked ?

The Whites  Directory for 1879 states that the Superintendant Registrar for Ecclesall Bierlow was Thomas W Smith (of 20 St Andrews Road), the registrar of births and deaths for Ecclesall was John Taylor, and the registrar for marriages was William Henry Bennett of 84 Washington Road.  I believe that customers would attend the home address of the registrar for completing the register.