Orgreave/bottom Of Handsworth

Guest joepeacockblade

Guest joepeacockblade

hey all, i'm new to this forum.

i'm from the bottom end of handsworth and due to me only being sixteen, i don't remember the old coking plant, the old highfield lane road that went down to catcliffe or orgreave hall.

i've got a realy good understanding of where things used to be but have not seen that many pictures of them, so if anyone has any pictures of this area i'd be chuffed if you could share them with me.

also, something i do remember is the old asda down that end, i used to go every sunday but don't remember it that well due to it being demolished when i was about 7, i actually have a peice of the floor from the old asda which i got from the site some time ago.

i'd love it if anyone has any photos of this aswell.

cheers, joe.

Hi Joe you can't live far from me. I don't know if you know but Handsworth history group have a museum in the parish centre at handsworth with lots of old photo's and memorabilia. It used to be open the second Monday in the month but not sure if this is still the case I am sure if you google it you should be able to find out Sandra Gillott is the one to contact. Did you also know that it was the Asda at Handsworth that was used in The Full Monty. I will have a look and see what photo's I have but not at home at the moment.

i'm from the bottom end of handsworth and due to me only being sixteen, i don't remember the old coking plant, the old highfield lane road that went down to catcliffe or orgreave hall.

i've got a realy good understanding of where things used to be but have not seen that many pictures of them, so if anyone has any pictures of this area i'd be chuffed if you could share them with me.

also, something i do remember is the old asda down that end, i used to go every sunday but don't remember it that well due to it being demolished when i was about 7, i actually have a peice of the floor from the old asda which i got from the site some time ago.

cheers, joe.

Hi Joe, I have posted a pic of the Coke Ovens, but I'm not sure if you will be allowed to view it? There is a photo, painting and description of Orgreave Hall on this website:

http://familytreemak...imothy-M-Sorby/

Also there are other posts on Sheffield History covering the Ogreave district e.g:

However, I'm not sure how much of the content you are able to view, maybe someone from the admin team can be of help?

Hi Joe, I have posted a pic of the Coke Ovens, but I'm not sure if you will be allowed to view it?

However, I'm not sure how much of the content you are able to view, maybe someone from the admin team can be of help?

Joepeacockblade is a registered member of Sheffield History, and after registering there are no restrictions on the viewing of images.

Guests cannot view the images and members can, it's as simple as that.

In fact many "guests", myself included just over 4 years ago, end up becoming members so that they can view our extensive collection of Sheffiels images.

By the way Joe, - Welcome to Sheffield History and thank you for posting.

I see you are already getting some replies to your request for help with pictures.

Guest joepeacockblade

cheers everyone, another thing i'd like to know, the old orgreave coking works/colliery site has recently had some sort of gates put around the site, does this mean the site is open to the public? ive seen people on there but i'm not realy sure if they have opened it to the public..

cheers, joe.

I saw your interest in Orgreave and therefore thought that you might find the attached photographs to be of interest.

Taken over the two years, 1975 to 1976, these images show a few of the various stages in the construction of Seven Battery Coke Ovens, the last to be built at the Orgreave Site and sadly, now long demolished. I have quite a few such photographs from this time, but these are some of the more "interesting".

Preparing the foundations; charging silos for number six battery in background

View of number seven battery nearly completed and taken from discharge side, coke track to front

View of new gas lines, but what is more interesting is that side on view of the original brick built engine shed, which later on, was part demolished and reused for housing byproduct processing

Construction of coke oven cells from the base up. The gas flues sandwiched between the ovens can be clearly seen. All weather construction was facilitated by the protective temporary clad building that was raised as the height of the newly built ovens was raised

Construction of the preheater building. It was believed that greater efficiency could be gained by pre-heating the coal charge prior to loading into the ovens

View of the gas alley being built which provided service access underneath the battery of ovens

I hope that you find them to be interesting.

Best regards;

N

Pleased to learn that you found the above to be of interest.

A few more images of the construction of Seven Battery; Coke Ovens attached.

Image of the "completed" battery of ovens from the discharge side. The "bench" for carrying the railed "guide car" has yet to be constructed, so the base of the funnel shaped, flue assembly is clearly visible.

Excavations for the foundations of the "gas scubber" plant. The brick building in the background housed the capentry shop and yard stores. The top of the corrugated building in the background, sitting astride the railway lines contained the lifting gear for the wagon tippler, used to empty coal wagons.

View of the temporary building that covered the construction of the battery. The railway line to the RHS is the "coke track" situated on the discharge side of the battery. The end of the "coke car" for five battery can be discerned when looking through the timber built "quenching tower".

Further view of the temporary building that covered the construction of the battery.

Kind regards;

N