Four Part Question.

RichardB

Whose shooting started WW1 ? (Easy)

Who fired the shot and how old was he/she/it ? (More difficult)

Who threw a bomb at 10.15 AM (i.e. earlier in the day than the shot that killed ........) ? and what was his trade ?

Name the driver of the car in which .... was shot.

Who threw a bomb at 10.15 AM (i.e. earlier in the day than the shot that killed ........) ? and what was his trade ?

The assasination of JFK in Dallas in 1963 has been the subject of several "conspiracy theories" over the years.

By asking a question like this it looks as though you have a "conspiracy theory" concerning the assasination of Archduke Ferdinard in 1914 as well. <_<

"O" Level history - Gavrilo Princip shot the Archduke!

I read somewhere recently that it was a real mix up. There were 3 conspirators. The first was to throw a hand grenade into the car, but he got scared and went home. Not sure about the second, but Princip got fed up and went to a cafe where he was sitting outside. In the meantime the Archduke's chauffeur took a wrong turning and by co-incidence drove past the cafe. Pricip saw them and hey presto, WW1!

I read somewhere recently that it was a real mix up. There were 3 conspirators. The first was to throw a hand grenade into the car, but he got scared and went home. Not sure about the second, but Princip got fed up and went to a cafe where he was sitting outside. In the meantime the Archduke's chauffeur took a wrong turning and by co-incidence drove past the cafe. Pricip saw them and hey presto, WW1!

So it is a bit like the Kennedy assasination conspiracy then

They only caught Lee Harvey Oswald shooting from the book repository from behind the presidential cavalcade.

But what about the man on the grassy knoll who fired from in front and possibly fired the fatal shot?

Then what about the "magic bullet" that took an impossible bent path from Oswalds location, - or the "other bullet" which hit a kerbstone?

Is the case of Archduke Ferdinand as complex and uncertain as this?

..and worse, If the "official" story of his assasination is incorrect, then, had the truth been known at the time, could the First World War have been totally avoided, and in so doing could millions of lives have been saved?

So it is a bit like the Kennedy assasination conspiracy then

They only caught Lee Harvey Oswald shooting from the book repository from behind the presidential cavalcade.

But what about the man on the grassy knoll who fired from in front and possibly fired the fatal shot?

Then what about the "magic bullet" that took an impossible bent path from Oswalds location, - or the "other bullet" which hit a kerbstone?

Is the case of Archduke Ferdinand as complex and uncertain as this?

..and worse, If the "official" story of his assasination is incorrect, then, had the truth been known at the time, could the First World War have been totally avoided, and in so doing could millions of lives have been saved?

The more I read about WW1 the more it sounds like the major European powers were looking for an excuse to go to war, and this was as good an excuse as any.

And as usual it was the poor so-and-so's who paid the price.

Both King George V and the Kaiser were cousins via Queen Victoria, and someone, I can't remember who, said if she were alive she would never have allowed it!

The more I read about WW1 the more it sounds like the major European powers were looking for an excuse to go to war, and this was as good an excuse as any.

And as usual it was the poor so-and-so's who paid the price.

Both King George V and the Kaiser were cousins via Queen Victoria, and someone, I can't remember who, said if she were alive she would never have allowed it!

King George V and Tsar Nicholas II were also related and allegedly they looked so similar to each other that when the Russian Royal family came to visit Britain in 1913, when the King and the Tsar appeared together in public people found it difficult to tell them apart.

Now if this is true here comes another assasination theory.

Perhaps the assassination of the Russian Royal family in 1917 was a case of mistaken identity and was really an attempt to assassinate the British Royal family.

(Yes Richard, it's another silly response to one of your questions lol )

The Causes of WWI

Baldrick

: The thing is: The way I see it, these days there's a war on, right? and, ages ago, there wasn't a war on, right? So, there must have been a moment when there not being a war on went away, right? and there being a war on came along. So, what I want to know is: How did we get from the one case of affairs to the other case of affairs?
Edmund
: Do you mean "Why did the war start?"
Baldrick
: Yeah.
George
: The war started because of the vile Hun and his villainous empire-building.
Edmund
: George, the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganyika. I hardly think that we can be entirely absolved of blame on the imperialistic front.
George
: Oh, no, sir, absolutely not. [aside, to Baldick] Mad as a bicycle!
Baldrick
: I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.
Edmund
: I think you mean it started when the Archduke of Austro-Hungary got shot.
Baldrick
: Nah, there was definitely an ostrich involved, sir.
Edmund
: Well, possibly. But the real reason for the whole thing was that it was too much effort
not
to have a war.
George
: By Golly, this is interesting; I always loved history...
Edmund
: You see, Baldrick, in order to prevent war in Europe, two superblocs developed: us, the French and the Russians on one side, and the Germans and Austro-Hungary on the other. The idea was to have two vast opposing armies, each acting as the other's deterrent. That way there could never be a war.
Baldrick
: But this is a sort of a war, isn't it, sir?
Edmund
: Yes, that's right. You see, there was a tiny flaw in the plan.
George
: What was that, sir?
Edmund
: ** Text removed for Decency **
Baldrick
: So the poor old ostrich died for nothing.

Have you got the entire Blackadder series 4 script?

There's a nice line where Blackadder catches Baldrick writing his name on a bullet and asks him why.

"Well Sir, they do say that somewhere out there is a bullet with your name on it and that's the one that's going to get you, so I thought that if I owned the bullet with my name on it I would be safe because I wouldn't want to shoot myself"

(Or something like that, - unlike you I don't have access to all of the series scripts.)

Here you go Dave

[The dugout. Blackadder is sitting in a chair reading a book. A record is

playing softly. Scratching noises are heard.]

Blackadder: Baldrick, what are you doing out there?

Baldrick: I'm carving something on this bullet sir.

Blackadder: What are you carving?

Baldrick: I'm carving "Baldrick", sir.

Blackadder: Why?

Baldrick: It's a cunning plan actually.

Blackadder: Of course it is.

Baldrick: You see, you know they say that somewhere there's a bullet

with your name on it?

Blackadder: Yes?

Baldrick: Well, I thought if I owned the bullet with my name on it,

I'd never get hit by it, 'cos I won't ever shoot myself.

Blackadder: Oh, shame.

Baldrick: And, the chances of there being two bullets with my name

on them are very small indeed.

Blackadder: That's not the only thing around here that's "very small

indeed". Your brain for example, is so minute, Baldrick,

that if a hungry cannibal cracked your head open there

wouldn't be enough inside to cover a small water-biscuit.

Have you got the entire Blackadder series 4 script?

There's a nice line where Blackadder catches Baldrick writing his name on a bullet and asks him why.

"Well Sir, they do say that somewhere out there is a bullet with your name on it and that's the one that's going to get you, so I thought that if I owned the bullet with my name on it I would be safe because I wouldn't want to shoot myself"

(Or something like that, - unlike you I don't have access to all of the series scripts.)

Yes

Somewhere I have a book with scripts for all 4 series in, but this excert was of the internet

I love Baldrick's take on events. "The Russian Revolution's started....they've shot all their nobs and overthrown Nicholas the Second who used to be bizarre..."

Yes

Somewhere I have a book with scripts for all 4 series in, but this excert was of the internet

Looks like dunsbyowl has the complete Blackadder scripts as well

I love Baldrick's take on events. "The Russian Revolution's started....they've shot all their nobs and overthrown Nicholas the Second who used to be bizarre..."

I bet Richard is wishing he had never started this topic.

But I'm loving it, I like a bit of a laugh. lol

Whose shooting started WW1 ? (Easy) Who fired the shot and how old was he/she/it ? (More difficult) Who threw a bomb at 10.15 AM (i.e. earlier in the day than the shot that killed ........) ? and what was his trade ? Name the driver of the car in which .... was shot.

Anyway, to get back to the questions, the answers could be

1. Franz Ferdinand and Princess Sophie

2. Gavrilo Princip age 19

3. Nedelijko Cabrinovich student

4. Leopold Loyka

I may have breached SH protocol by looking on the internet but my history books could only answer 2 of the 4 questions and unanswered questions like these tend to drive me a bit mad.

Good work, think it needed the internet. I'm pleased to say I found the question in a book, you remember, bits of paper all bound together with words printed on them. Imagine in 30 years the things we'll be explaining from today and getting that non-comprehending look from some youngster a bit like sticking your finger in a hole and going round and round to dial a number.

4. Leopold Loyka

I may have breached SH protocol by looking on the internet but my history books could only answer 2 of the 4 questions and unanswered questions like these tend to drive me a bit mad.

4. Leopold Loyka

Come on THYLACINE.

This was a question from Richard

He doesn't expect us to give hime the right answers straight away like this.

He expects us to act stupid, make silly comments and fall about laughing for at least 50 posts from at least 5 members before we give in and answer the question.

42?

That's not the answer to Richard's question though is it

That's the answer to the question of life, the universe and everything from "hitchhikers guide to the galaxy"

I'm new here but I can do stupid and silly. I can!

Well, I'll try. But I don't think I can match it with the admin team. :)

I'm new here but I can do stupid and silly. I can!

Well, I'll try. But I don't think I can match it with the admin team. :)

Someone who has been a member for two and a half years and has nearly 400 posts to their name can hardly say "I'm new here"

But I must admit that certain members of the admin team would take some matching.

Perhaps it's because we practice a lot.