L Eberlin, Pocket Watch

Stuart0742

does anyone know of

L Eberlin Pocket Watches,

I am assuming this is Louis Eberlin

Looks like Eberlin to me.

Nice pocket watch, except that this one appears to be missing an hour hand (or, as Hilda Baker would have said, "It nearly 20 to...eee I'l have to get a little hand put on this watch") and the seconds hand on the smaller seconds dial.

Not heard of Eberlin watches before, even locally.

Eberlin is a German name more usually associated with a musical composer than a watch manufacturer.

Nice watch, - so where did you get it?

By the way we never managed to repair that carriage clock on your mantlepiece with the 400 day movement rotating torsional pendulum.

An Internet search reveals that there is a company in America called Eberlin Instruments that make scientific instruments. they don;t make timepieces but tend to make radiation detectors, infra red heat flow detectors, Geiger counters and a variety of scectroscopes and spectrometers.

So far that's the nearest I can come up with.

Try putting an advert out in the want ads in Exchange & Mart

WANTED

An hour hand and a seconds hand to fit an old Eberlin pocket watch.

....and see if you get any response

Louis Eberlin was born in Sheffield in 1858. In 1911 and 1919 the business was at 87 South Street and home was 26 Thornsett Road. He was buried 19 June 1919 at the General Cemetery. His father was Frederick Eberlin a pork butcher born in Germany. Louis had several brothers but none of them were involved in watchmaking.

Louis Eberlin married Elizabeth Clark Ridgway in 1882. I've not found any children for them.

Louis's father Frederick married twice. The first time was to Ann Wagstaff in Sheffield in 1849. She had twins Joseph and Rosina but Joseph died age 3 wks, Rosina died age 10 mths and Ann died age 21 all in 1849/50.

Second wife was Sarah, not found a marriage for them. I've found 9 children.

George Frederick b.1854, d.1855

William b.1855, Pork butcher. 1919 at 907-909 Penistone Rd, Owlerton

Frederick b.1856, Pork butcher. 1911 and 1919 a pork and meat purveyor, pork pie, sausage and polony maker at 437-439 London Rd

Louis b.1858 the watchmaker and jeweller

Elizabeth b.1859

Edwin b. 1861. This one is a distant ancestor through his wife Edith Horsfield. In 1905 he was a joiner and undertaker at 153 Myrtle Rd. Odd combination of occupations but I suppose he could knock up a few coffins!

Albert b.1863. In 1881 he was a pharmaceutical apprentice and then moved to Nottingham

Florence b.1865 and died age 5 mths

Luther b. 1866. He was a drapers apprentice in 1881.

Albert had 2 sons Albert and Frederick. Frederick Harold Maden Eberlin, 2nd lieutenant Royal Flying Corps, Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and 3rd Bn died age 20 in 1917.

I've not got a subscription at present to find them after the 1881 census.

I think this is the guy I'm interested in

Louis Eberlin born c1892, father Zipporah born c 1858

Uncommon surname, must be linked

Frederick Harold Maden Eberlin, 2nd lieutenant Royal Flying Corps, Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and 3rd Bn died age 20 in 1917.

Hi AnnieR

What's your source for this info, this would help with our research for www.sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk

We have 3 Eberlins

F Eberlin on a couple of memorials at Heeley

JF Eberlin Private York & Lancs

Louis Eberlin Royal Navy

A contribution (1851)

Louis Eberlin married Elizabeth Clark Ridgway in 1882. I've not found any children for them. Louis's father Frederick married twice. The first time was to Ann Wagstaff in Sheffield in 1849. She had twins Joseph and Rosina but Joseph died age 3 wks, Rosina died age 10 mths and Ann died age 21 all in 1849/50. Second wife was Sarah, not found a marriage for them. I've found 9 children. George Frederick b.1854, d.1855 William b.1855, Pork butcher. 1919 at 907-909 Penistone Rd, Owlerton Frederick b.1856, Pork butcher. 1911 and 1919 a pork and meat purveyor, pork pie, sausage and polony maker at 437-439 London Rd Louis b.1858 the watchmaker and jeweller Elizabeth b.1859 Edwin b. 1861. This one is a distant ancestor through his wife Edith Horsfield. In 1905 he was a joiner and undertaker at 153 Myrtle Rd. Odd combination of occupations but I suppose he could knock up a few coffins! Albert b.1863. In 1881 he was a pharmaceutical apprentice and then moved to Nottingham Florence b.1865 and died age 5 mths Luther b. 1866. He was a drapers apprentice in 1881. Albert had 2 sons Albert and Frederick. Frederick Harold Maden Eberlin, 2nd lieutenant Royal Flying Corps, Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and 3rd Bn died age 20 in 1917. I've not got a subscription at present to find them after the 1881 census.

I think this is the guy I'm interested in

Louis Eberlin born c1892, father Zipporah born c 1858

Uncommon surname, must be linked

Just noticed, Zipporah was his mother, so who was his father

sorry can't think straight at the moment, bad visit to dentist today

Some Eberlin deaths for consideration :

Frederick Eberlin, born 1856, died quarter December 1929, Ecclesall Teacake.

(For newcomers quarter December means death notified October to December, i.e. that quarter of the year)

Louis Eberlin married Elizabeth Clark Ridgway in 1882. I've not found any children for them.

Louis's father Frederick married twice. The first time was to Ann Wagstaff in Sheffield in 1849. She had twins Joseph and Rosina but Joseph died age 3 wks, Rosina died age 10 mths and Ann died age 21 all in 1849/50.

Second wife was Sarah, not found a marriage for them. I've found 9 children.

George Frederick b.1854, d.1855

William b.1855, Pork butcher. 1919 at 907-909 Penistone Rd, Owlerton

Frederick b.1856, Pork butcher. 1911 and 1919 a pork and meat purveyor, pork pie, sausage and polony maker at 437-439 London Rd

Louis b.1858 the watchmaker and jeweller

Elizabeth b.1859

Edwin b. 1861. This one is a distant ancestor through his wife Edith Horsfield. In 1905 he was a joiner and undertaker at 153 Myrtle Rd. Odd combination of occupations but I suppose he could knock up a few coffins!

Albert b.1863. In 1881 he was a pharmaceutical apprentice and then moved to Nottingham

Florence b.1865 and died age 5 mths

Luther b. 1866. He was a drapers apprentice in 1881.

Albert had 2 sons Albert and Frederick. Frederick Harold Maden Eberlin, 2nd lieutenant Royal Flying Corps, Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and 3rd Bn died age 20 in 1917.

I've not got a subscription at present to find them after the 1881 census.

Alice Mary Eberlin, born 9 February 1892, died quarter Jun 1975, Sheffield.

Who is big enough to take on the challenge of making sense of all of this ?

Some Eberlin deaths for consideration :