The Lord Nelson Pub/inn

Guest pmrs88

Hi All,

I've been researching my family tree and have found that a pub/inn called The Lord Nelson or The Nelson was in our family for at least a couple of generations and was wondering if anyone had any information on it? According to the census it was located at 60 or 62 Broad Street, Sheffield in the late 1800's. I've tried looking at this location on Google Maps but can only see a pub called Ye Olde Harrow so I'm guessing it either changed names or is no longer there.

If anyone has any information on The Lord Nelson or Ye Olde Harrow or knows where I could find some then that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

Hi All,

I've been researching my family tree and have found that a pub/inn called The Lord Nelson or The Nelson was in our family for at least a couple of generations and was wondering if anyone had any information on it? According to the census it was located at 60 or 62 Broad Street, Sheffield in the late 1800's. I've tried looking at this location on Google Maps but can only see a pub called Ye Olde Harrow so I'm guessing it either changed names or is no longer there.

If anyone has any information on The Lord Nelson or Ye Olde Harrow or knows where I could find some then that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

take a look here, SH link to ..

Hi PMRS88 and Welcome to the Site.

I have the Harrow/Old Harrow listed as 80 Broad Street, Park - known from 1822 onwards - the street numbers go a bit crazy; but don't let that put you off, all the pubs have street numbers that are enough to push you over the edge). On my list there are 78 known keepers but I refer you to the Pubs A-Z.

The Lord Nelson I have as 60 Broad Street, known from 1871 with a very disappointing 3 known keepers 1871 then 1948 and 1951, again, refer to the A-Z - Ukelele Lady and/or others may have that more up to date than my lists (wouldn't be difficult !!!) - treat the A-Z as the best guide around to old Sheffield Pubs, I know the man that started it off - he's a great guy ...

I've no idea if you are a local, or how much/little you know so please don't be offended by the following statement (you may be fully aware or blissfully unaware) - it's meant well :

Broad Street, Park and Broad Lane are two very different places.

I'd be interested in knowing more about your relatives and links to the Harrow/Nelson since 1871 - 1948 seems way to big a gap in the data.

Good Luck, keep us posted please.

Hi All,

Thanks,

Patrick

Hi both,

Thanks a lot for the information! I see on the link that you posted that you already have the information on my family who owned it. Frances Smith(and her husband Edmund) originally resided there and it seems to have then been passed on to their son John Smith when Edmund, then Frances, passed away.

I was actually trying to find out how long it stayed in the family so I'll see if I can do some more digging and see if there is a link to the Smiths and the Barbers.

I have to head off just now but thanks again for the info and I'll keep you posted on anything else I find out.

At least with this image, we know it's the Lord Nelson and it's showing as 62 Broad Street, in 1871.

Frances Smith (transcribed as Francis)

Edmund Smith, Son, 26; John must have been out that night and I'm certainly not searching any Census year for someone called John Smith !

Hi both, Thanks a lot for the information! I see on the link that you posted that you already have the information on my family who owned it. Frances Smith(and her husband Edmund) originally resided there and it seems to have then been passed on to their son John Smith when Edmund, then Frances, passed away. I was actually trying to find out how long it stayed in the family so I'll see if I can do some more digging and see if there is a link to the Smiths and the Barbers. I have to head off just now but thanks again for the info and I'll keep you posted on anything else I find out.

1861 - Here's something we can all argue about !!!

Edward Smith, 60 Broad Street, with wife Francis (correct age compared to 1871) and son Edward or Edmund

three things in one line, Edward Smith , head, not Edmund' Francis (with a clear dot above the "i" and a son that is transcribed as Edward but looks, to me, like Edmund.

Nothing, as yet, updated to the A-Z. It's pushed the date back 10 years anyway.

Let the fighting begin !!!

he he

Hi both,

Thanks a lot for the information! I see on the link that you posted that you already have the information on my family who owned it. Frances Smith(and her husband Edmund) originally resided there and it seems to have then been passed on to their son John Smith when Edmund, then Frances, passed away.

I was actually trying to find out how long it stayed in the family so I'll see if I can do some more digging and see if there is a link to the Smiths and the Barbers.

I have to head off just now but thanks again for the info and I'll keep you posted on anything else I find out.

Yeah, I've assumed that there was an error with the transcription and that it is in fact Edmund and Frances with another son who is also called Edmund. Subsequent children in the family were also called Frances with an 'e' I believe although don't have the transcriptions to hand at the moment.

Right i have been checking through the Newspapers over a 36 year period 1860 to 1896 and found a few refences some good some not so good.

Magisterial Proceedings

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, August 04, 1860;

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, October 19, 1861;

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Friday, September 24, 1869;

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Tuesday, November 23, 1880;

Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, May 22, 1886;

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, October 09, 1886;

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Friday, June 10, 1892;

OUR POLICE COURTS

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Saturday, November 30, 1896;

I've got to admit I have nothing on this one, must be a beerhouse, but we can always

rely on syrup.

How does he do it? Nice one syrup.

Wow! Those are fascinating! Thank you so much for unearthing those. That's something to show the family! Are these newspaper images available online or is it your personal collection? I'd just like to know as there's a couple more people that I'd like to investigate.

Thanks again!

Edit: I would like to think that the first article isn't about our John Smith as he was born in 1851 so would have only been 9 at the time!

Wow! Those are fascinating! Thank you so much for unearthing those. That's something to show the family! Are these newspaper images available online or is it your personal collection? I'd just like to know as there's a couple more people that I'd like to investigate.

Thanks again!

Edit: I would like to think that the first article isn't about our John Smith as he was born in 1851 so would have only been 9 at the time!

Hello again pmrs88 All this information is available online at https://lccsecure.lancashire.gov.uk/online/register/register0.asp you do have to be

a Member but it is Free to join and you do get instant access.