Ww1 Enlistment Question

This has only just occured to me and now it's nagging me. I know just about everything there is to know about my Greatgrandfathers Great War experience; however, what I don't know is the building where he enlisted. He is recorded as enlisting in Attercliffe on 3 August 1915. Does anyone know which building was used etc?

Wondered the same myself - my Great-granddad Albert Bennett listed in the Sherwood Foresters at Attercliffe on 8th June 1915. Vestry Hall maybe?

"Sheffield's main recruiting office at the Corn Exchange was trying to deal with masses of working-class Sheffielders signing up, with a report in the local papers mentioning that many were turned away for various deficiencies. Recruiting was also underway at Hillsborough Barracks, Attercliffe Vestry Hall and Edmund Road Drill Hall where many of the famous 'Sheffield Pals' were conscripted."

Looks like it was the Vestry Hall

Well researched Dunsbyowl, I'd like confirmation from Trefcon - just because he's the man whose view we would all respect on matters WWI.

Any PictureSheffield links, I wonder ?

"Sheffield's main recruiting office at the Corn Exchange was trying to deal with masses of working-class Sheffielders signing up, with a report in the local papers mentioning that many were turned away for various deficiencies. Recruiting was also underway at Hillsborough Barracks, Attercliffe Vestry Hall and Edmund Road Drill Hall where many of the famous 'Sheffield Pals' were conscripted."

Looks like it was the Vestry Hall

Interesting picture from PictureSheffield - the building shown on Streetview is the one on the left - sloping roof, crinkly shaped middle window, bay window etc and there is a crumbly old farm what is the building in the centre of the picture (set back) ? Any ideas please ?

Picture Sheffield link

Attercliffe Vestry Hall

-----------------------------------

Google Streetview

If only we could ask George ...

George Edward Barber, Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths and the vaccination officer for the Attercliffe district, based, naturally enough at the Vestry offices from 1893-1919.

Wondered the same myself - my Great-granddad Albert Bennett listed in the Sherwood Foresters at Attercliffe on 8th June 1915. Vestry Hall maybe?

I think Dunsby is working (orasleep under his desk), so try this http://www.nfa.dept.shef.ac.uk/jungle/index3c3.html

Jolly good work chaps! Dunsbyowl, where does that quote come fom ?

Guest Trefcon

You all beat me to it. I do have an advert for 'The Jungle' mentioning the recruiting of men, but i cant put my hands on it, it was from the Independent.

Dean.

You all beat me to it. I do have an advert for 'The Jungle' mentioning the recruiting of men, but i cant put my hands on it, it was from the Independent.

Dean.

I didn't realise the Vestry Hall was still there. !

Interesting mention of the Corn Exchange recruitment on here.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/people/john-william-streets.htm

I would be interested to find out which regiments were recruiting at different times. My Great Grandad ended up with the East Yorkshire regiment rather than the Yorks and Lancs.

I understand that the number of recruiting offices was adjusted slightly from time to time to meet demand, sometimes including the Jungle at the bottom of Hawley Street. See http://www.nfa.dept....e/index3c3.html.

The principal recruiting office was at 10 St Georges Terrace, Brook Hill (see for instance, page 42 of the 1915 Sheffield Year Book).

The attached advertisement from the Sheffield Independent of 27.08.1914 might be of interest.