1949 - Sheffield Telegraph Scans

vox

I found this old copy of the Telegraph under a carpet in a house on Penrhyn Road.

I've put a couple of scans in various relevant places, and I'll put a few more here if I can't think of anywhere more appropriate.

Robert B Grayson Solicitors.

7, North Church Street, Sheffield.

What a brilliant, and most odd, source :)

I found this old copy of the Telegraph under a carpet in a house on Penrhyn Road.

I've put a couple of scans in various relevant places, and I'll put a few more here if I can't think of anywhere more appropriate.

Robert B Grayson Solicitors.

7, North Church Street, Sheffield.

B & J Sippel Ltd - Cadman Street

B & C Co-op, - 32, Sycamore Street, Sheffield, 1

Metropolitan-Vickers Electrical Co. Ltd. - Attercliffe Common Works

James Ryals & Co. - 63, St Mary's Road

Greaves Ltd, Sydney Street

(A mention of The Control Of Engagement Order)

Duncan Gilmour & Co. Dixon Lane, Sheffield 1

Unwin, 550, Langsett Road.

Atkin Bros. Truro Works, Matilda St.

Ward & Payne Ltd, Lymbrick Works, Hillsborough, S6

Sheffield Telegraph & Star, Kemsley House.

Medical Department, The University, Western bank.

Sheffield Telegraph & Star, Kemsley House.

Stewart & Stewart, Pinstone Street,

M. Bernard & Son, 60, Rockingham Street.

Accommodation

Brincliffe Training Colledge, Psalter Lane

Co-operative Insurance Society, 55, Queen Street, S 1

Wm Watts & Co, 19, North Church Street (Brightside, 5 roomed House for sale, £400)

H Marshall, 20, Bank Street,

Styring & Styring, 96-98, Queen Street

House & Business Agency, 9-11, Castle Street, S3

-------------------------------

Kenyon, The Estate Agents, 41-43, Fargate

T Saxton & Co. White Building, Fitzallan Square.

CD Bramall, Queens Garage, Queens Road.

CD Bramall, Malin Bridge

J Quince, 178, Penistone rd

Thomas Alsop, Penistone Rd North

Philips Motor Services, Handsworth Road

Control of Engagement Order

September 18, 1947.

(Meant to expire on January 1, 1949; period has been extended to January 1, 1950, by Statutory Instrument No. 2608, 1948, according to the Ministry of Labour Committee.)

The Order compels employees seeking workers and workers seeking employment to use employment exchanges. Unemployed persons who, after having been offered a choice of jobs, refuse to accept essential work, will be given 14 days to think it over. If they still refuse, they are liable to be directed.

The number of persons who have been formally directed by the Order are as follows: Between October, 1947, and December, 1948, 29; during the first six months of this year, 66; making a sum total of 95.

Something interesting to look into at some time.

Control of engagement Order 1947

Extract regarding the Direction of Labour and the Control of Engagement Order, early mention of Miss Margaret Roberts ...

Dartford Chronicle, 26 August 1949:

DIRECTION OF LABOUR

To the Editor

Dear Sir,—Believing that Miss Margaret Roberts has no desire to mislead the people, I should like to draw her attention to the report, in your columns of last week, of her speech to a meeting of Young Conservatives, where it appears she stated "people of her generation had had a rather raw deal in the post-war world. When they were ready to go along the road to their careers they were faced with the Direction of Labour Order and more restrictions than any other generation had had to face in this country."

It occurs to me that much could be said in respect to opportunities open to young people these days when making comparisons with, say, 20 or 30 years ago, but I am chiefly concerned with the amazing reference to the Direction of Labour Order. If Miss Roberts is correct, then I have been completely misinformed about this seemingly devastating Order, and to help me and to interest your readers I do hope she will give the following information: (a) When did the Order become law; (B) how many persons of both sexes and all ages have been "directed" under the Order; © under what circumstances can the Ministry of Labour apply the Order to an individual; (d) does Miss Roberts know or has she ever heard of even one young person being deflected by this Order along the road to a career?—Yours faithfully.

Norman N. Dodds,

M.P., Dartford Division.

20, Havelock-road,

Dartford.

Source : http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/100834

Something interesting to look into at some time.

Control of engagement Order 1947