Norwood Hall

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

Just where was Norwood Hall. I thought it was close to Busk Meadows but could be wrong. Antone know and better still has anyone a picture of it? Oh dear, Just found out that the hall was also called Bishopsholme, See Bishopsholme post for pics.

Guest RichardClarke

I know your post was many years ago but digimap shows that Norwood hall was right next to busk meadows, possibly with Busk Meadows being land belonging to Norwood hall, the map evidence goes back as far as the 1850's

Is this the record for the longest time for a reply?

5 years 7 months

Richard might have made Sheffield History history with his first post.

Guest RichardClarke

Haha it would seem I may have. I have only just moved to Sheffield to come to University and am writing a report on Busk Meadows so I have done a bit of digging into the history myself.

I know your post was many years ago but digimap shows that Norwood hall was right next to busk meadows, possibly with Busk Meadows being land belonging to Norwood hall, the map evidence goes back as far as the 1850's

Is this the map Richard?

Buske Meadow is listed in Harrison's Survey of the Manor of Sheffield in 1637, described as

"Buske Meadow head lying between the last piece East and William Greene in part and the Lords lands in the use of John Rawson in part west & abutteht upon Cockshutt feild south and Buske meadow north and cont. 4a 3r 33p"

and

"Buske Meadow the greater part thereof is a Spring wood of 28 yeares groweth lying between Will Greene in part and Buske Croft in part north west and the Lords lands in ye use of John Rawson south east and abutteth upon norwood greene in part and the lands of John rawson in part north east and the two last pieces south and cont. 15a 1r 28p"

The maps accompanying the survey have been lost, but have been reconstructed by Scurfield in an article "Seventeenth century Sheffield and its environs"

When I was a kid Norwood Hall was the Territorial Army depot which was accessed from Barnsley Road. It was behind Norwood Road. In my teens they held dances in the Hall itself....I met my wife at one of them, which just happened to be the night of the last tram to Sheffield Lane Top!

When I was a kid Norwood Hall was the Territorial Army depot which was accessed from Barnsley Road. It was behind Norwood Road. In my teens they held dances in the Hall itself....I met my wife at one of them, which just happened to be the night of the last tram to Sheffield Lane Top!

Almost, that was Norbury Hall, not Norwood. ;-)

Guest RichardClarke

Yeah that looks fairly like the one i have seen. I dont know if you have access to Digimap, but that is a great resource for old maps