Old Synagogue Bailey House

Guest terrialexa

Guest terrialexa

hi really interested in what the old synagogue building was on bailey street was it actually a jewish synagogue its now known as bailey house

looked all over for information on it but there doesnt seem to be any

be very grateful if people could give me some feedback to what the building used to be

hi really interested in what the old synagogue building was on bailey street was it actually a jewish synagogue its now known as bailey house

be very grateful if people could give me some feedback to what the building used to be

Hi terrialexa,

the building you refer to was St. James Sunday School

Link to 1950's OS map #02

Link to Flash Earth

Not sure what religion the hexagram window represents,if any,

the style of window was used on many religious buildings.

Guest terrialexa

Thanks a lot iff you have any information at earlier dates id be more gratefull to find out what it was before that

I think this deserves looking into :

Charles John Green, Master of Ragged School, Bailey Street, home 9 Broom Close (White's 1849)

Guest terrialexa

Thanks so much it just comes up with a picture no information if u could tell me more id be interested

Charles John Green, Master of Ragged School, Bailey Street, home 9 Broom Close (White's 1849)

The Ragged School Union was founded in 1844 by Lord Shaftesbury, with the aim of establishing "schools expressly for (the) destitute and depraved class, in the very localities, courts, and alleys where they abound." The more ambitious Schools developed into general educational and welfare institutions.

-----------------------------------------------------

The Schools of Sheffield 1851

SCHOOLS: Upwards of 10,000 children attend the different SUNDAY Schools attached to the churches and chapels; and the various congrega- tions are liberal supporters of other Institutions for the promotion of Christian Knowledge : amongst which are Bible, Missionary, Tract, and other Associations. Here are also many Public Day Schools, at which about 8000 children are instructed either gratuitously, or for trifling weekly payments. The Ragged School, established in 1848 by the Rev. J. Manners. and supported by him and other subscribers, is attended by about 140 children, and it is hoped that several other schools will soon be established for the religious and moral training of the destitute poor, and the suppression of juvenile depravity and mendicity.

Genuki.org.uk

Nothing to show that the present day buildig existed in 1849.

Guest Falls

Hello,

Was the Synagogue always at Bailey Street or located in different places in the downtown core at different times? (I'm not confusing this with the present Synagogue on Wilson Road)

I was always told that the Synagogue had been at the upper end of North Church Street, just below Campo Lane. In my childhood: say the 1940s, the location pointed-out to me was just a bombed-our ruin and remained that way for quite a few years. Eventually, the site was clear and new buildings erected.

I haven't been down North Church in 40 years but seem to recall one of the building that later occupied the site was an ELIM Church.

Regards

The building at the corner of North Church Street and St Peters Close used to be a synagogue...there's e engraving in the brick work

Jews Synagogue, 17 Figtree Lane (1849)

Hello,

Was the Synagogue always at Bailey Street or located in different places in the downtown core at different times? (I'm not confusing this with the present Synagogue on Wilson Road)

I was always told that the Synagogue had been at the upper end of North Church Street, just below Campo Lane. In my childhood: say the 1940s, the location pointed-out to me was just a bombed-our ruin and remained that way for quite a few years. Eventually, the site was clear and new buildings erected.

I haven't been down North Church in 40 years but seem to recall one of the building that later occupied the site was an ELIM Church.

Regards

Hello,

Regards

Just an update, the Synagogue on Wilson Road is now the City Church. The Synagogue relocated to Psalter lane some time ago.

Ive looked into this building for my column and as far as I can see it was just a Sunday School and the top window just happens to look like the Star Of David.

I wonder why,anyone would use the Star of David in a building, erected at a time when being Jewish wasn't widely acceptable ( even Disraeli was subject to prejudice)...that is, unless the builder was making a statement. The Synagogue on North Church Street was opened in 1872 and closed in 1930 when the congregation moved to Wilson Road.

There was a group called the British Israelites who believed they were the lost tribe. They weren't Jewish. Also the Masons used the Star of David in their symbolism so prejudice against Jews and using a Jewish symbol was not incompatible in Victorian eyes. Sunday school in those days was not a school that just taught the bible. It was a school set up to teach on a Sunday because it was the only day the children had time off from work. It was also known as a Ragged school. It taught about 140 pupils who would not have to pay for their schooling.

I had forgotten about the Masonic use of the Star....although a quick reference to the History of Masons in Sheffield doesn't mention the establishment of a Hall on Bailey Street.

The very first synagogue in Sheffield was established, in 1851, on Figtree Lane.

Ahem ... Jews Synagogue, 17 Figtree Lane (1849)

I had forgotten about the Masonic use of the Star....although a quick reference to the History of Masons in Sheffield doesn't mention the establishment of a Hall on Bailey Street.

The very first synagogue in Sheffield was established, in 1851, on Figtree Lane.

Mine is from White's Directory of 1849 - perfectly willing to be wrong, what we need is anything before 1851 or indeed 1849 so we can both be wrong and then we'll be pushing the dates back.

Jehu Lane (Jew Lane) just off Fitzalan Square might be interesting, sure we've researched that before ... there's one for the crew to find, I've not been around much, forgotten everything I ever knew.

The date I quote comes from a history of the Jewish Community in Sheffield.

That'll be our target then !

I am sure I read somewhere that originally the Jewish community used a house and then built a synagogue in Figtree Lane.

from The History of the Jews in Great Britain by Rev Moses Margoliouth (1851):

About a century since many Jews visited Sheffield in consequence of its peculiar manufacture, but only in the capacity of merchants,and therefore left the place as soon as they had made their purchases. A few indeed wereultimately tempted to settle there altogether; but those few were very tardy in forming themselves into a congregation, and it was not till the year 1838 that they resolved to constitute themselves as a congregation of Israel. Messrs. Emanuel and Jacobs were the principal movers of that resolution There is nothing in a name, but it sounds rather curious when one asks for the synagogue, to be told it is in Folly-street. The Jewish population do not exceed twenty families.

Was this Solly Street? If so where was the synagogue?

The Rabbi Samuel Cohen (born 1802 Russia) died in December 1851 and had been the Rabbi for Sheffield for 6 years. He had officiated at the Synagogue in Figtree Lane (not necessarily for the 6 years).