Sheffield Jew History

RichardB

I was going to ask about the Folly Street Synagogue but I did a little digging on SH and found some interesting stuff.

The following appeared on a previous post.

(Malka Hyman made it onto the list of Sheffield Celebrities earlier this year.)

Sheffield was also the original home of Brian Epstein's mother Malka, nee Hyman, who was known as Queenie.

Synagogue, Wilson Road

At the age of 18, she married the 29-year-old Harry Epstein at the Synagogue, Wilson Road Sheffield 11, on September 6 1933. A five-bedroom house in Queen's Drive, Childwall, Liverpool was given to the couple as a dowry.

Queenie's father Louis Hyman owned the Sheffield Cabinet Company at 11 Porter Street, Sheffield S1

Also: http://www.jewishgen.org/JCR-UK/community/sheff/index.htm

The link was last updated in 2005, has there been any change since then?

I didn't know about Epstein and Sheffield, great find.

Louis Hyman, Cabinet maker, Court 2, Matthew Street (White's 1905)

no mention found for 1911 ?

Louis Hyman, Cabinet maker (The Sheffield Cabinet Manufacturing Co.), home 203 Chippinghouse Road (White's 1919)

Louis Hyman, Furniture manufacturer, home 203 Chippinghouse Road (Kelly's 1925)

plus an assortment of others e.g. Barnet Hyman, Furniture Dealer, 561 Ecclesall Road (1919)

Mrs Fanny Hyman, Furniture Dealer, 357 Ecclesall Road (1925)

Isaac Epstein, Cabinet maker, 329 Penistone Road, home 50 Driffield Street (Kelly's 1925)

I was going to ask about the Folly Street Synagogue but I did a little digging on SH and found some interesting stuff.

Sheffield was also the original home of Brian Epstein's mother Malka, nee Hyman, who was known as Queenie.

Synagogue, Wilson Road

At the age of 18, she married the 29-year-old Harry Epstein at the Synagogue, Wilson Road Sheffield 11, on September 6 1933. A five-bedroom house in Queen's Drive, Childwall, Liverpool was given to the couple as a dowry.

Queenie's father Louis Hyman owned the Sheffield Cabinet Company at 11 Porter Street, Sheffield S1

Also: http://www.jewishgen...sheff/index.htm

LAYING THE CORNER STONE OF A NEW JEWISH SYNAGOGUE.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Friday, January 05, 1872;

Synagogue, Wilson Road

Also: http://www.jewishgen...sheff/index.htm

So when Brian brought The Beatles to play in Sheffield, which happened several times between 1063 and 1965, - all related in other topics on this site, he could have gone and visited his maternal granparents at the same time.

So when Brian brought The Beatles to play in Sheffield, which happened several times between 1063 and 1965, - all related in other topics on this site, he could have gone and visited his maternal granparents at the same time.

Sorry Dave, my knowledge of English history only goes back to 1066 so, can't confirm that!

Sorry Dave, my knowledge of English history only goes back to 1066 so, can't confirm that!

That should be 1963

On my computer the 0 and 9 are next to each other and it is easy to catch one when going for another.

I have the same problem with certain other adjacent keys, t and y being the worst offenders.

Only back as far as 1066?

Wasn't that the year that ENGLISH history sort of went a bit FRENCH?

I remember during the build up to the 1996 Euro cup final, someone pointed out the significance of the following dates in English history:

1066 - Battle of Hastings

1666 - Great Fire of London

1966 - England World Football Champions

1996 - England hosted the Euro Football Finals, the catchphrase was 'Football Comes Home', there was a sentimental feeling that something special was to happen that year. But everything turned sour when Germany emerged as champions of Europe and for England, the magical numerical sequence was a case of - one out of four aint bad!!

I remember during the build up to the 1996 Euro cup final, someone pointed out the significance of the following dates in English history:

1996 - England hosted the Euro Football Finals, the catchphrase was 'Football Comes Home', there was a sentimental feeling that something special was to happen that year. But everything turned sour when Germany emerged as champions of Europe and for England, the magical numerical sequence was a case of - one out of four aint bad!!

Yep, only 1 out of 4 (1966) was a win (and some still dispute the outcome of this game due to a controversial goal)

The others were all disasters.

Although in retrospect the Norman invasion of Britain was probably a good thing as it ultimately changed the country in a positive way.

I remember during the build up to the 1996 Euro cup final, someone pointed out the significance of the following dates in English history: 1066 - Battle of Hastings 1666 - Great Fire of London 1966 - England World Football Champions 1996 - England hosted the Euro Football Finals, the catchphrase was 'Football Comes Home', there was a sentimental feeling that something special was to happen that year. But everything turned sour when Germany emerged as champions of Europe and for England, the magical numerical sequence was a case of - one out of four aint bad!!

1696 About this time was built in Pepper Alley, the first brick house in Sheffield, which was viewed by the inhabitants with

wonder and ridicule, they supposing it be built of such perishable materials that it must soon yield to destruction.

1766 Boys Charity School Mr Thomas Hanbey bequeathed £3000 3per cent stock to the Cutlers Company in trust for the

benifit of the School.

Although in retrospect the Norman invasion of Britain was probably a good thing as it ultimately changed the country in a positive way.

Interesting comment Dave. What if the Norman's had been repelled? What would Britain be / have been like? Worth a thread of its own?

Interesting comment Dave. What if the Norman's had been repelled? What would Britain be / have been like? Worth a thread of its own?

There have been several TV series presented by either Adam Hart Davies or the guy who plays Baldrick in Blackadder (can't remember his name but both good history show presenters) called things like "What the Normans did for us" or "What the Romans did for us", "What the Victorians did for us" etc.

Although defeat in battle is an immediate loss, then depending on what our conquerors inflict on us in the long term it could change things for the better, after all, every cloud has a silver lining.

How "British" are we anyway. When we say the Normans beat "us", who exactly are "us", - many of "us" today actually have Norman ancestry and are decendants of them so that in 1066 we were actually fighting for the other side anyway.

Hence my comment that in the long term the Norman invasion probably did us a favour, - it brought peace and stability to what had previously been an unsettled country and imposed, after the doomsday book, a rigid and unified system to how it was run. Surely that must be an improvement.

By the way, William set off from Normandy yesterday (27th September) and landed at Pevensey today. But he arrived 2 weeks before the kick-off, the battle didn't start until 14th October.

945 years ago.

By the way, William set off from Normandy yesterday (27th September) and landed at Pevensey today. But he arrived 2 weeks before the kick-off, the battle didn't start until 14th October.

945 years ago.

All due to a mix up in the fixture list. The home side had another international match near York, which they won, but travel arrangements being what they were it took time to get back to the south coast for their next match. Unfortunately they had to walk most of the way so weren't at their best .

All due to a mix up in the fixture list. The home side had another international match near York, which they won, but travel arrangements being what they were it took time to get back to the south coast for their next match. Unfortunately they had to walk most of the way so weren't at their best .

Should have booked SUT

Also, in 1266 anti-Royal rebels under John D'eyVille passed through Sheffield and burned down the town and castle. These were the 'Dispossessed' supporters of the slain (1265 at Evesham) Simon De Montfort, ''father of Parliament'', against King Henry III and his young son [King] Prince Edward (I)