Buy For 14/- A Gallon, Sell For 8/- A Gallon

RichardB

Is it worth even bothering to look at the additives or what the preparation may be.

I am no businessman but who in their right mind is going to buy anything at 14 bob a gallon to sell at 8 bob a gallon and make a 6 bob loss per gallon.

Sorry, I will say that again for our younger members benefit.

I am no businessman but who in their right mind is going to buy anything at 70p for 4.54 litres to sell at 40p for 4.54 litres and make a 30p loss per 4.54 litres.

Is it worth even bothering to look at the additives or what the preparation may be.

I am no businessman but who in their right mind is going to buy anything at 14 bob a gallon to sell at 8 bob a gallon and make a 6 bob loss per gallon.

Sorry, I will say that again for our younger members benefit.

I am no businessman but who in their right mind is going to buy anything at 70p for 4.54 litres to sell at 40p for 4.54 litres and make a 30p loss per 4.54 litres.

The implication of the last sentance is that the original gallon could be made to stretch much, much further than one gallon by adding rubbish and gallons of water and stuff - hence making it profitable ...

The implication of the last sentance is that the original gallon could be made to stretch much, much further than one gallon by adding rubbish and gallons of water and stuff - hence making it profitable ...

Isn't that illegal? B):o:unsure: <_<

Very illegal.

but :

the only duty of the officer being to see that there is no increase of the stock at the distiller's strength without a proper permit the publican consequently commences operations on the gin as soon as it arrives on his premises and large quantities of oil of vitriol, alum nitre ether turpentine white copperas and salt of tartar with copious draughts of water are added to the original stock which now undergoes change in its quality speaking chemically .

Now, just how 'orrible are the additives ? How much, of what, is going to kill you or I ? I'm a big drinker of turps, obviously ... turps, mercury and laudanum is one of my favourite cocktails ...

Isn't that illegal? B):o:unsure:<_<

Having spent years on the subject I have an interest in old Sheffield Pubs, put the thing that got me really interested, early on in my research, was the "name above the door"-bit - much more interesting than Jones & Bloggs, Accountants - or is it ? Bet accountants, surgeons, solicitors, druggists, undertakers and bankers etc etc of old had plenty of secrets about their clients to hand ...

Isn't that illegal? B):o:unsure:<_<

Very illegal.

but :

the only duty of the officer being to see that there is no increase of the stock at the distiller's strength without a proper permit the publican consequently commences operations on the gin as soon as it arrives on his premises and large quantities of oil of vitriol, alum nitre ether turpentine white copperas and salt of tartar with copious draughts of water are added to the original stock which now undergoes change in its quality speaking chemically .

Now, just how 'orrible are the additives ? How much, of what, is going to kill you or I ? I'm a big drinker of turps, obviously ... turps, mercury and laudanum is one of my favourite cocktails ...

Oil of Vitriol is sulphuric acid (technically the concentrated acid, - very nasty). Try drinking the contents of your car battery to get a taste for it!

Alum is one of of a range of compounds called "alums", most probably potassium aluminium sulphate, sometimes used to make adhesives.

Nitre is potassium nitrate, used in gunpowder but also as food preservative. Nitrates in your diet though?

Ether is a volatile liquid, highly flammable and explosive used a long time ago as an anaesthetic until its full toxicity was realised. Smelly nice and was used to make Vivtory V sweets.

Turpentine is a complex organic oil containing the terpine unsaturated grouping. Toxic, unpleasant smelling and it's most common use was as a paint remover to clean oil based paints from brushes until a safer alternative substitue was found.

White Copperas, despite its name does not contain copper, it contains iron. It is the name of a mineral from which "green vitriol" or iron (II) sulphate (ferrous sulphate) is made. This chemical is a good supply of iron and is used to treat anaemia, often added to multivatamin and minerak suppliment tablets. High doses can cause serious problems though.

Salt of Tartar is an old name for both potassium hydrogen tartarate, and interestingly potassium carbonate. Together these would probably be used as an acidity regulator but why use the potassium compounds rather than the sodium ones is beyond me.

I would imagine that the copius quantities of water are so copious as to reduce any injurous effects of any of these substances (in fact the solubility of turpentine in water is very low).

So buy one gallon at 14 bob and sell 70 gallons at 8 bob a gallon.

Oil of Vitriol is sulphuric acid (technically the concentrated acid, - very nasty). Try drinking the contents of your car battery to get a taste for it!

Alum is one of of a range of compounds called "alums", most probably potassium aluminium sulphate, sometimes used to make adhesives.

Nitre is potassium nitrate, used in gunpowder but also as food preservative. Nitrates in your diet though?

Ether is a volatile liquid, highly flammable and explosive used a long time ago as an anaesthetic until its full toxicity was realised. Smelly nice and was used to make Vivtory V sweets.

Turpentine is a complex organic oil containing the terpine unsaturated grouping. Toxic, unpleasant smelling and it's most common use was as a paint remover to clean oil based paints from brushes until a safer alternative substitue was found.

White Copperas, despite its name does not contain copper, it contains iron. It is the name of a mineral from which "green vitriol" or iron (II) sulphate (ferrous sulphate) is made. This chemical is a good supply of iron and is used to treat anaemia, often added to multivatamin and minerak suppliment tablets. High doses can cause serious problems though.

Salt of Tartar is an old name for both potassium hydrogen tartarate, and interestingly potassium carbonate. Together these would probably be used as an acidity regulator but why use the potassium compounds rather than the sodium ones is beyond me.

I would imagine that the copius quantities of water are so copious as to reduce any injurous effects of any of these substances (in fact the solubility of turpentine in water is very low).

So buy one gallon at 14 bob and sell 70 gallons at 8 bob a gallon.

8 bob a gallon for what?

I wouldn't want to drink that concoction and I can't think of any other real use for it so it would be a waste of 8 bob.

I'm not entirely sure what it is, but, halfway down the second gallon it begins to taste quite nice - it's around this time that the sky moves and the light-fittings begin to talk ...

also I've found you can clean your paint brushes by burping on them he he

8 bob a gallon for what?

I wouldn't want to drink that concoction and I can't think of any other real use for it so it would be a waste of 8 bob.

I'm not entirely sure what it is, but, halfway down the second gallon it begins to taste quite nice - it's around this time that the sky moves and the light-fittings begin to talk ...

You've found some and tried it then <_<

It's funny that because when I used to drink the stuff (by then re-branded as Stones Bitter) it was the ground beneath me that used to move.

It had the curious habit of hingeing up from a point just in front of my feet and hitting me in the face. Funny that !

HD

It's funny that because when I used to drink the stuff (by then re-branded as Stones Bitter)

HD

I wouldn't mind buying Stones Bitter for 8 bob a gallon, - or even 14 bob a gallon.

I think I have said before that when I was 18 (so legally old enough to drink) a gallon of beer would have cost 96p (12p a pint) as at the time, with bus fares being capped at 2p you could go boozing in town and get home again for the extra 4p, making a good night out for just £1

Currently when me and Stuart go to the Foxwood, unless we have won some free beer tickets in their quiz (happens once in blue moon) the beer (Stones) cost £2.20 a PINT, making it £17.60 a gallon! :o

As a mere youth in the scheme of things, I seem to remember a pint at 33p, Ken, Alan and me - not sure if of legal age or not ... probably not - maybe 1978 or 1979.

I wouldn't mind buying Stones Bitter for 8 bob a gallon, - or even 14 bob a gallon.

I think I have said before that when I was 18 (so legally old enough to drink) a gallon of beer would have cost 96p (12p a pint) as at the time, with bus fares being capped at 2p you could go boozing in town and get home again for the extra 4p, making a good night out for just £1

Currently when me and Stuart go to the Foxwood, unless we have won some free beer tickets in their quiz (happens once in blue moon) the beer (Stones) cost £2.20 a PINT, making it £17.60 a gallon! :o

As a mere youth in the scheme of things, I seem to remember a pint at 33p, Ken, Alan and me - not sure if of legal age or not ... probably not - maybe 1978 or 1979.

As Stuart lived in a boozer as a lad he can remember when it cost 1 shilling and 10 pence a pint (about 9p a pint) in the mid 60's.

As Stuart lived in a boozer as a lad he can remember when it cost 1 shilling and 10 pence a pint (about 9p a pint) in the mid 60's.

I didn't know he lived in a boozer.

I made the link to Stones Bitter because of all the Sheffield Breweries still going in the fifties, Stones was the only brewery that never smelt of hops or barley mash. A pal of my dad worked there and used to say it was all made with chemicals. It was never a beer that I liked at all, together with Tetley's ( sickly thick taste ). Having said that I quite liked Wards 'so who am I to say.

HD

I made the link to Stones Bitter because of all the Sheffield Breweries still going in the fifties, Stones was the only brewery that never smelt of hops or barley mash. A pal of my dad worked there and used to say it was all made with chemicals. It was never a beer that I liked at all, together with Tetley's ( sickly thick taste ). Having said that I quite liked Wards 'so who am I to say.

HD

I find Stones light, both in taste as well as colour and quite a pleasant but "ordinary" drink.

The old WWitbreads from Lady's Bridge Brewery was quite creamy and had a more distinctive taste.

Wards had the strongest taste, quite sharp, but it settled heavy on my stomach so I couldn't drink a lot of it in one go.

Wards had the strongest taste, quite sharp, but it settled heavy on my stomach so I couldn't drink a lot of it in one go.

Back in the day I could manage to shift quite a mind-blowing quantity of Wards.

I find Stones light, both in taste as well as colour and quite a pleasant but "ordinary" drink.

The old WWitbreads from Lady's Bridge Brewery was quite creamy and had a more distinctive taste.

An amusing story concerning Whitbread's beer, I hope I haven't told it before.

I was in hospital for several months thirty-odd years ago and in the next bed was young miner from Rawmarsh who had lost his leg.

My brother-in-law used to bring me cans of Whitbread and I offered one to my neighbour, he refused it saying he would wait until he could get out for some "real beer". Eventually he relented and enjoyed a can.

He then called for the telephone to phone the corner shop, (his elderly parents were not on the phone), and asked the lady to contact his parents and ask them to bring him some beer, Whitbread. His parents turned up the next night with a large shopping bag and with a wink he put it under his bed until after visiting time.

When the visitors had gone he retrieved the bag and pulled out a large sliced loaf, then another. Under the bread were several cans of Long-Life beer.

His parents had brought him the beer wit(h) bread lol lol lol

What on earth his parents thought he needed with two sliced loaves is anybodies guess.

The ward erupted in laughter and a doctor came rushing in to see what was going on.

The doctor could then be heard telling the tale in the other wards (he had a very loud voice).

To put the cap-kneb on it, later that night an orderly from the womens ward came in and asked which of us was *******.

"That's him" we all pointed".

"Can you sell me that bread", she asked, "The shops will be shut before I get home".

You couldn't make it up. :rolleyes:

HD

An amusing story concerning Whitbread's beer, I hope I haven't told it before.

I was in hospital for several months thirty-odd years ago and in the next bed was young miner from Rawmarsh who had lost his leg.

My brother-in-law used to bring me cans of Whitbread and I offered one to my neighbour, he refused it saying he would wait until he could get out for some "real beer". Eventually he relented and enjoyed a can.

He then called for the telephone to phone the corner shop, (his elderly parents were not on the phone), and asked the lady to contact his parents and ask them to bring him some beer, Whitbread. His parents turned up the next night with a large shopping bag and with a wink he put it under his bed until after visiting time.

When the visitors had gone he retrieved the bag and pulled out a large sliced loaf, then another. Under the bread were several cans of Long-Life beer.

His parents had brought him the beer wit(h) bread lol lol lol

What on earth his parents thought he needed with two sliced loaves is anybodies guess.

The ward erupted in laughter and a doctor came rushing in to see what was going on.

The doctor could then be heard telling the tale in the other wards (he had a very loud voice).

To put the cap-kneb on it, later that night an orderly from the womens ward came in and asked which of us was *******.

"That's him" we all pointed".

"Can you sell me that bread", she asked, "The shops will be shut before I get home".

You couldn't make it up. :rolleyes:

HD

Very Rotherham - Barnsley dialect there.

If you really wanted beer and bread it would be "beer wit bread" in Rawmarsh perhaps

But down here in Sheffield it would be "beer an't looaf"

Sometimes you have to "use di looaf".