Assay Masters and Assay Offices

RichardB

I've never been asked a question about Assay Masters and Assay Offices, but, I'm reasonably well prepared if I am ever asked :rolleyes:

---------------------------

Original Assay Master was a Londoner, Daniel Bradbury, started 5th August 1773, salary £50. Assay Office was on Norfolk Street (rented from George Elliot)

"wherein Mrs Eleanor Green deceased lately dwelt"

April 1774 the Guardians rented a different house (lower rent, £5 5s 0d per half-year) from Joseph Mitchell (Thomas Boulsovers son-in-law), the property was

"situate up a Court in Norfolk Street"

Bradbury died 1789, suceeded by George Dickinson (local man, a Quaker); the Office propered.

July 1794, guardians purchased a lease for premises on Fargate (from Edward Sheppard, £70)

1807 Dickinson fell ill, local man Samuel Hancock appointed 10th August 1807.

Dickinson was still unwell, the Guardians tried to

"make such liberal allowance to Mr Dickinson as might be thought necessary from time to time under his present infirmary"

So, they threw him out, so Hancock could move in (the house came with the job).. Dickinson died in November, aged 55.

Hancock died suddenly May 1809, Office closed for a month.

Matthew Sayles suceeded him, he knew nothing of assaying, he was a book-keeper !

1818 Sayles instructed his second son Lewis Charles Sayles in assaying; Lewis became Assistant. Matthew Sayles died 1833.

Lewis Charles Sayles was also a dentist, he complained about his neighbour, Mr Christian Kramer killing pigs and upsetting the delicate assaying lanaces. 1854, Lewis resigned.

John Watson appointed, and from 1868, his son William Henry Watson was Assistant. 9th August 1878 John Watson died.

William Henry Watson appointed (£200 per annum), Arnold T Waston, brother, was elected as an Assayer (without salary) to assist.

By now, the Fargate site, at its junction with Pinstone Street was needed to make way for the new Town Hall. Mr Flockton, Corporation Surveyor, suggested the site on Firth Street (now Leopold Street).

Watson had the lion (reputedly by Mosley, pupil of Chantry) moved from the Fargate Office.

William died 1890, Arnold T. Watson continued; resigning in 1898, his nephew Bernard suceeding him, Bernard lasted 43 years in the job.

----------------------------

Anyone got a decent picture of the Leopold Street building ?

Source : Early Sheffield Assay Masters and Assay Offices - Jackie Richardson, in Aspects of Sheffield 2 - Melvyn Jones

Current Assay Master = Ashley Carson

Top bloke

Have dined at the Assay Office and it's really prestigious inside - with all manner of fantastic items adorning the walls etc

A came across this when searching for family history references and got quite excited as I have some Lincolnshire Strawson's in my tree and my ggggrandfather was a coachmaker in Louth ...