Bennett College

Stuart0742

We received this by email today, does anybody have information about Bennett College, not sure if I have heard of it, or have I forgot

Hello: I'm 89,family historian. A relative once made the outrageous assertion that the founder of the Bennett College in Sheffield was of our clan. I feel certain there is no evidence of that. But I would like to know who the founder of that institution was,and any basis information about him. Many thanks if you can be of help. Gerald Bennett Queanbeyan NSW Australia

The opening pages hardly give a clue as to the greatness which awaits inside. Instead, we are met with material which Freud would have giddily throttled dozens to have a chance to pore over. The book opens with a single-page spread, advertising “The most successful and most progressive correspondence college in the world”; the ominous legend “LET ME BE YOUR FATHER” hovering next to a picture of a man who does not at all look like the leader of a cult. This would appear not to be E.R. Thompson, but rather, a Mr Bennett, founder of The Bennett College in Sheffield.

Source

J H Bennett, Governor, The Bennett Academy, Regent Street (1925).

Regent Street ?

Bennett College, Regent Street, 1919.

This is more like where I thought it was ...

Frank Bennett, Caretaker, Pupil Teachers Centre, Holly Street (1911 & 1919)

Bit different from "The Guv" ?

J H Bennett & Co., The Bennett Academy, Regent Street (White's 1919)

I don't like the sound of & Co. in this context ...

[Give us something to go at folks, we'll do our best]

"LET ME BE YOUR FATHER" hovering next to a picture of a man who does not at all look like the leader of a cult. This would appear not to be E.R. Thompson, but rather, a Mr Bennett, founder of The Bennett College in Sheffield.

Postal tuition had been in existence since the 1880s with Wolsey Hall of Oxford being among the first — but this establishment offered academic courses only. At the turn of the century the main providers of engineering training by post were ICS, which started in the United States and expanded its activities to Britain, and the Bennett College of Sheffield. This latter organisation's advertisements used to show a picture of a middle-aged man of overbearing and pontifical appearance leaning over a youth seated at a desk with a book and the caption 'Let me be your father'.

http://www.glias.org.uk/news/182news.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...814288424181361

<H1>Bennett College Reference Library Sheffield England

A five volume set of reference books written and published by the staff at Bennett College of Sheffield including:

"Engineering,"

"Mechanics,"

"Strength of Materials,"

"Engine and Boiler,"

"Workshop Practice."

In Volume One "Engineering" chapters include the titles: The Action of The Steam Engine, Engine Details, Reversing Gears, Boilers, The Chemistry of Fuels, Engine Testing.

"Mechanics" chapters includes the titles: Rest and Motion, Acceleration, Gravity, The Pulley, Work and Energy, Moments, Friction and Efficiency.

"Strength of Materials" chapters include the titles: Stresses and Strains, Calculation of Simple Stresses, Riveted Joints, Strength of Shafts.

"Engine and Boiler Accessories" chapters include the titles: Pumping Machinery, Evaporators and Distillers, Refrigerating Machinery, Steering Gears.

"Workshop Practice and Power Transmission " chapters include the titles: Marking Off, The Lathe, Special Types of Lathe, The Art of Fitting, Erecting, The Transmission of Power.

Charles Whittaker Roberton

Merit cards from The Bennett College, Sheffield who ran correspondence courses. Here are the details,

28 October 1940 - first stage in general arithmetic

6 February 1941 - first stage in workshop practice

17 March 1941 - second stage in general arithmetic

16 July 1942 - third stage in general arithmetic

12 November 1942 - first stage in algebra.

http://intheshadeofmyfamilytree.blogspot.com/search?q=sheffield

Received this by email from Poland

Dear Mr.,

I am writing form the English Department at the University of Zielona Gora in Poland. I am currently writing a diploma paper concerning mind control in George Orwell's 1984 and I am trying to, unsuccessfully so far, check the lead concerning The Bennett College given by Anthony Burgess. He claimed that Orwell was inspired by an advertisement of The Bennett College when creating the character of Big Brother. This advertisement, supposedly, consisted of Mr. Bennett's son who took over the enterprise after his death and was saying: 'Let me be your big brother.' Does such an advertisement exist? Is there a possibility to obtain one of those in .jpg? I would be very grateful if you could check whether it is true.

Best regards,

Lukasz Swidurski

In the essay section of his novel Anthony Burgess states that Orwell got the idea for Big Brother from advertising billboards for educational correspondence courses from a company called Bennett's, current during World War II.

The original posters showed Bennett himself; a kindly looking old man offering guidance and support to would-be students with the phrase "Let me be your father" attached.

After Bennett's death his son took over the company, and the posters were replaced with pictures of the son (who looked imposing and stern in contrast to his father's kindly demeanour) with the text "Let me be your big brother"

Source

However, Mr Bennett died during WWII and his son inherited the company. His rather brutal-looking face replaced his father's, and the slogan became

"Let me be your big brother"

Oddly enough, subscriptions tailed off rather rapidly and the company folded within a few years

Source

No pictures mind you.

Guest alicethong

In a pile of music which belonged to a family member now deceased I found a very old clip type file with The Bennett College, Sheffield on the front with a college emblem (presumably) and the quote "if at first you don't succeed ......." ask our help. The sturdy file was used to store some sheet music. Apparently my uncle was an engineer and it was interesting to read the posts about the college but I am not sure whether he ever attended the college.