Clubmill road & Old Park Silver Rolling Mill

Hjdary

Well I think thats what its called..like I said in another post in minute back I had an hour to waste this morning in town so I brought my camera and went playing. My son and I had a ride along Clubmill road..from the Farfield towards the Sheflex factory and along there we saw this old roofless building on the riverside of the road.

I had put my camera in the boot but had my phone in the front with me so I quickly took these...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/DSC00227.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/DSC00226.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/DSC00228.jpg

We had a quick peep inside and it looks too small to have been a factory but the as its in a industrial setting would be strange if it was a house, though it did have what looked like a small outside toilet and shed type building next to it.

Also, allthough the layout and look of the place made us think that it was very old the windows had concrete lintles that looked newish?

All in all a mystery to us.

We then went back towards the Farfield but turned left at the juction and headed up the hill. On the right was a pillar with the word "BOYS" on it so we guessed there had been a school there at some point and on the walls were some painted goal posts which sealed it.

Now, all of the above was just your starter for ten.

Across the road from the school building site was a huge wall which going from the type of bricks looks like it was once part of a railway bridge. Round the corner, on the way up to the tip we saw more huge parts of this "bridge" and at a guess I would say there might have even been a station up there.

So can someone put me out of my misery at tell me what this lot was for.

My son got right in to it today and I think the history bug is rubbing off on him.

Is this the district known as "Parkwood Springs" ?

I know the Farfield, I know Clubmill Road and some of its history (notes not with me right now); you want an adventure, take some friends along, it's a very easy place to slide/slip/fall ... my sister and me had a most enjoyable afternoon there. Take a change of clothes along, easy to get very dirty, especially if its wet.

That very spot is where I was approached by a gang of youths who had guns whilst I was on a photoshoot in that building..

Twas very scary indeed

Well I think thats what its called..like I said in another post in minute back I had an hour to waste this morning in town so I brought my camera and went playing. My son and I had a ride along Clubmill road..from the Farfield towards the Sheflex factory and along there we saw this old roofless building on the riverside of the road.

I had put my camera in the boot but had my phone in the front with me so I quickly took these...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/DSC00227.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/DSC00226.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/DSC00228.jpg

We had a quick peep inside and it looks too small to have been a factory but the as its in a industrial setting would be strange if it was a house, though it did have what looked like a small outside toilet and shed type building next to it.

Also, allthough the layout and look of the place made us think that it was very old the windows had concrete lintles that looked newish?

All in all a mystery to us.

We then went back towards the Farfield but turned left at the juction and headed up the hill. On the right was a pillar with the word "BOYS" on it so we guessed there had been a school there at some point and on the walls were some painted goal posts which sealed it.

Now, all of the above was just your starter for ten.

Across the road from the school building site was a huge wall which going from the type of bricks looks like it was once part of a railway bridge. Round the corner, on the way up to the tip we saw more huge parts of this "bridge" and at a guess I would say there might have even been a station up there.

So can someone put me out of my misery at tell me what this lot was for.

My son got right in to it today and I think the history bug is rubbing off on him.

The three pictures were of a failed attempt to renovate the Old Park Silvermills as, I think a nightclub,

The 'Boys' gate posts, were to Hillfoot School, the 'Girls' entrance was round the other side now gone,

The Huge wall and around the corner were the Coal drops,

there used to be a bridge accross Parkwood Road from the Railway,

wagons would tip coal down the drops, they had loading shute's for lorries.

Neepsend Station was further up on the hillside towards Parkwood Springs

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-341-1177269537.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-341-1177271078.jpg

The three pictures were of a failed attempt to renovate the Old Park Silvermills as, I think a nightclub,

The 'Boys' gate posts, were to Hillfoot School, the 'Girls' entrance was round the other side now gone,

The Huge wall and around the corner were the Coal drops,

there used to be a bridge accross Parkwood Road from the Railway,

wagons would tip coal down the drops, they had loading shute's for lorries.

Neepsend Station was further up on the hillside towards Parkwood Springs

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-341-1177269537.jpghttp://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-341-1177271078.jpg

Thats the gate...the one with the factory behind...and the coal drops..that'll be right, there were huge things on the side where you cajn imagine waggons emptying the coals down.

Wish I had took some shots round there

Guest Trefcon

Hi,

went to wards end cemetery sat, walking up club mill road, on the left about half way to cemy theres this wheel, any history of it any where?

Hi,

went to wards end cemetery sat, walking up club mill road, on the left about half way to cemy theres this wheel, any history of it any where?

Think it was a decorative attempt by someone who was trying to turn the old buildings into a nightclub.

It is on the site of the old goit.

Think it was a decorative attempt by someone who was trying to turn the old buildings into a nightclub.

I remember that old building at the side of the River Don, it used to be a silver mill.

Guest Trefcon

Hi, found my 1903 OOSM of Neepsend, Old Park Silver Rolling Mill ( Brass & Copper ). The long building on the map is still there, but cant see the wheel building.

Hi, found my 1903 OOSM of Neepsend, Old Park Silver Rolling Mill ( Brass & Copper ). The long building on the map is still there, but cant see the wheel building.

The building is shown on a 1890 map and it's also in an 1988 A-Z map .. named as 'Mills',

the old mill is opposite where the River Loxley joins the Don.

Ben Peace Secretary to Old Park Silver Mills Co. Ltd. Old Park Rolling Mills, Club Mill Road Kelly's 1893

Harold H. Peace Secretary & Manager Old Park Silver Mills Co. Limited Club Mill Road White's 1911

H H Peace Hon. Sec. Old Park Silver Mills Co. Limited Club Mill Road White's 1919

H H Peace Secretary & director Old Park Silver Mills Co. Ltd. Club Mill Road Kelly's 1925

Peace be with you lol

Ben Peace Secretary to Old Park Silver Mills Co. Ltd. Old Park Rolling Mills, Club Mill Road Kelly's 1893

Harold H. Peace Secretary & Manager Old Park Silver Mills Co. Limited Club Mill Road White's 1911

H H Peace Hon. Sec. Old Park Silver Mills Co. Limited Club Mill Road White's 1919

H H Peace Secretary & director Old Park Silver Mills Co. Ltd. Club Mill Road Kelly's 1925

Peace be with you lol

Managed to go back a bit further Richard, to 1864 .. see entries (66) & (67) A Complete History of The Great Flood at Sheffield

Was up there again last week as it happens.

I have recently moved jobs (Sorry SteveHB..wont be calling round this year!) and now go to more industrial jobs than before.

This has opened my eyes a bit...I had spent years believing that there was no steel in Sheffield these days.....and before some one jumps on me saying how much has gone, I know, but there is still quite a few cracking little engineering shops left out there.

I had to call to a firm a few yards on from the derelict building...amazing to think that someone has been working steel on that site for hundreds of years

Guest mcys0754011

i work just round the corner across from sheflex near the old building

next to it is an old water mill anyone know its history

i work just round the corner across from sheflex near the old building

next to it is an old water mill anyone know its history

Hi mcys0754011,

see the above ... (topics now merged)

Pictures on here all look very familiar.

These were taken by me doing the Upper Don Valley Walk in May 2007

Would be nice to know the history of the place.

Pictures on here all look very familiar.

These were taken by me doing the Upper Don Valley Walk in May 2007

Would be nice to know the history of the place.

Extract from W.T.Miller The Water-Mills of Sheffield (1936).

"The tail-goits and the bye-goit from the Club Mill fed the dam that furnished water to the OLD PARK SILVER ROLLING MILL. Mr. Joseph Hancock, who established this mill, was apprenticed to Mr. Bolsover, the discoverer of the method of making what was known as Sheffield Plate. Mr. Hancock withdrew from the actual manufacture of plated goods and developed a business in rolling the plated metal for other manufacturers.

Mr. Fairbank records, about 1825, that there was one mill here for rolling plated copper, with an undershot water wheel twelve feet diameter by four feet three inches wide, and one mill for finishing plate and rolling silver with a water-wheel eighteen feet diameter by three feet seven inches wide.

The list of 1794 includes this as Mr. Hancock's Rolling Mill. 1814 gives us Ebenezer Hancock ; 1824, Joseph Burdekin ; 1825, John Houldsworth. At the time of the Sheffield Flood a Mr. Peace was the tenant here. This is one of the few mills other than grinding wheels that has worked continuously at one branch of trade, although today an electric motor replaces the water-wheels."

Which suggests it was still in operation in 1936. David Crossley in Water Power o the Sheffield Rivers suggests that it was Hancock who originally built the mill in 1794/1795.

Guest barbrook

I have recently found that I am descended from Joseph H so have started to do some research about him.

Although Boulsover had invented Old Sheffield Plate, Joseph H exploited the process commercially ans seems to have started a boom in the trade. He had an interest in 5/6 works in the Sheffield area.

His descendent Ebenezer H carried on the mills.

Another descendent started the firm of Samuel Hancock and Sons ( Mazeppa trademark) who were on Pea Croft etc and survived into the 20th century.

Thanks for info, Gramps.

I'm going to do a photo recce to the the mills, but they seem to be in a sorry state.

I have recently found that I am descended from Joseph H so have started to do some research about him.

Should prove to be an interesting project, did you know a Joseph Hancock was Master Cutler in 1763 ? Possibly the same man.

Guest barbrook

Yes, it is the same chap. There was some doubt about it in the past. There is a whole page in R E Leaders book about his doubt as to the identity of Joseph H. However, we have now got a family tree which proves who he was.

Guest simon38

Like many people I was down on my luck in the 80s and I along with about 20 others used to sleep at night at the back of the old silver mill and at night we used to hear some stange sounds coming out of there.I am not saying they were ghosts but we never did find out what the sounds were.

I think the old silver mill has gone now.

Guest barbrook

Like many people I was down on my luck in the 80s and I along with about 20 others used to sleep at night at the back of the old silver mill and at night we used to hear some stange sounds coming out of there.I am not saying they were ghosts but we never did find out what the sounds were.

I think the old silver mill has gone now.

What sort of sounds, voices?

The mill has lost its roof, I think, but the walls still mainly there.

Anybody know who owns the mill/land and if there are any proposals for its use?