The Uncrowned King Of Sheffield.

Waterside Echo

William Clegg, and elder brother Charles, became the first Wednesday footballers to be capped for England. William went on to be Lord Mayor of Sheffield in 1898 and was often referred to as the "uncrowned king of Sheffield". As if that was not enough, he was also a solicitor and gained widespread publicity when he defended Charlie Peace. Now William Clegg's long lost medal won when Wednesday beat Heeley 4-3, to lift the Sheffield Association Cup in 1877 is expected to fetch up to £2,000 when it goes under the hammer at Bonhams sale in Chester today [ 1st June ] W/E. Thanks to the Yorkshire Post.

William Clegg, and elder brother Charles, became the first Wednesday footballers to be capped for England. William went on to be Lord Mayor of Sheffield in 1898 and was often referred to as the "uncrowned king of Sheffield". As if that was not enough, he was also a solicitor and gained widespread publicity when he defended Charlie Peace. Now William Clegg's long lost medal won when Wednesday beat Heeley 4-3, to lift the Sheffield Association Cup in 1877 is expected to fetch up to £2,000 when it goes under the hammer at Bonhams sale in Chester today [ 1st June ] W/E. Thanks to the Yorkshire Post.

Excellent find W/E, looks like there is more detail to find on Mr Clegg.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

"Uncrownded King of Sheffield" indeed !!

Now William Clegg's long lost medal won when Wednesday beat Heeley 4-3, to lift the Sheffield Association Cup in 1877 is expected to fetch up to £2,000 when it goes under the hammer at Bonhams sale in Chester today [ 1st June ] W/E. Thanks to the Yorkshire Post.

Sold for £1,800 inclusive of buyer's premium.

www.bonhams.com/eur/auction/18842/lot/510/

Couple of excellent articles on the Cleggs on the Chris Hobbs site

http://www.chrishobbs.com/

Guest doubleday

Thank you for posting this.

I am researching athletes in Victorian Sheffield and the Clegg brothers had a lot of success in athletics before devoting more of their energies to football.

I have reports of various races they competed in.

thanks Glenn

Thank you for posting this.

I am researching athletes in Victorian Sheffield and the Clegg brothers had a lot of success in athletics before devoting more of their energies to football.

I have reports of various races they competed in.

thanks Glenn

What puzzles me is where did they find the time ? Solicitors, Sportsmen, Politicians, Religios, Temperance Activities etc