Sheffield Hallam University

RichardB

Mmmm, OK then ...

Source

1992 sounds about right.

1992 as Hallam University.

In my day it was Sheffield Poytechnic and I can remember as a kid it was Sheffield College of Technology.

I also did my teacher training at the Collegiate Crescent site while it was an affiliated part of Sheffield Polytechnic.

If it clains to date back to 1843 as some small college then it would predate Sheffield University which dates back to about 1903.

Just like to point out that, -

A )

Sheffield University is actually in Hallam while Hallam University is in Sheffield, - how confusing is that!!!

B )

I have had academic dealings with BOTH of Sheffield's Universities and they are both EXCELLENT Educational establishments and a pride to the City.

Sheffield University did very well in University Challenge this year, - but its a fiddle anyway. Normal Universities can only enter 1 team per university, but a collegiate university (London, Cambridge, Oxford, York and Durham) can enter 1 team per college within the university, - this gives the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge, with lots of seperate colleges, a massively unfair advantage of winning the contest.

It would be nice to form some kind of link with the History Departments of both places ...

It would be nice to form some kind of link with the History Departments of both places ...

Yes it would.

Unfortunately I am a chemist.

Do we have any historian members with contacts?